Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Viewing Email Addys, and Not receiving system messages from Vanilla

Andy KAndy K
edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey all, since upgrading to 1.0, I noiced two things:

1) Even the Master Administrator role cannot view people's email addresses (I used this feature to privately contact people about forum behavior off-the-site). Everything shows up as "n/a", for new applicants or for existing members.

2) For some reason, I'm not being emailed by the board when new applicants apply for membership. (I received everything fine in 9.x)

On this latter one, normally I'd suspect that there's a problem with SMTP or something. However, I set up my Settings-->Application Settings-->Support email address to be the same as my personal account email address. I have the extension set up for notification when new posts are made to subscribed discussions, and I get those emails fine.

Thanks in advance, and let me know what data you'd need to help with troubleshooting!

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    1. You can edit the users account to view their email, otherwise you see it just like everyone else would providing the user wants to hide it. 2. The smtp settings within the application globals are only there if you need them (ie: your host doesn't support mail), the smtp settings are still a bit weird and new but to my knowledge, if your host already supports mail you should leave the smtp settings blank and vanilla should send emails out as before.
  • Options
    Hey man, thanks for the advice on issue 1.

Re 2, Yeah I didn't put in any new smtp fields or anything, as my local host supports mail. My issue is basically:

* I (as "Master Administrator") have a site account ("Support Email Address") and my personal user email. They're the same email address.

* I get emails as a user from my message board when I check "subscribe to discussion" and someone posts to the discussion. This indicates that email sending is working fine on my Vanilla/website installation.

* However, I no longer receive emails as Master Administrator when new users try to join. In 9.X I used to get an email saying "New Applicant". Now, no such emails come, and I have to check the Settings frequently (or use the Extension for the "New User Applicant Popup") if I want to be aware of new forum applications.

What happened between 9.x and 1.0? Were email notifications for new user applicants turned off altogether? If so, that's fine, I just want to make sure I'm not messing up a notification setting somewhere.

Thanks!
    -Andy
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of is to check that you have enabled the "Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership" preference for your user account, and that the email address you've provided is valid. (I'm sure it is, but it's always good to double-check.)
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I think mark might have a better idea as to what's going on here better than I can, I think the option to receive notifications is now gone as I can't seem to find it anymore. Mark?
  • Options
    I have it on my local install...
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2006
    found it, this is one of those options I rarely play with as you now can obviously tell...
  • Options
    Andy KAndy K
    edited July 2006
    The only thing I can think of is to check that you have enabled the "Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership" preference for your user account, and that the email address you've provided is valid. (I'm sure it is, but it's always good to double-check.)
    Hey, I might be missing that setting, where is it normally located again? Under the Account tab, or Settings? (I just did a major hunt and couldn't find that setting anywhere, which is probably half my problem :-) ). If you could, please let me know specifically where to click, in which order, to find that item.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Andy, it appears that it was moved. I didn't take notice where it was before but it's now located under > Settings > Roles & Permissions > Role Abilities > Notify by email of new applicants.
  • Options
    It's also under the account tab.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    For some reason, I'm not finding it there. Here we go again.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    yeah, magical, I don't have that appearing in my local install here for some reason or another. While the option exists under roles and permissions, in my master account options that one doesn't appear.
  • Options
    Is the setting in Roles & Permissions actually enabled?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Yeah, I've even attempted to disable it under roles and permissions and go back to see if it pops up under the account with no luck. Mark will probably have to check this out as I'm running 1.0 from an existing 0.9.2.2 database and it's quite likely that some settings got chewed up along the way. Also, all my roles and permissions aren't exactly "standard" so things are a bit wonky to say the least.
  • Options
    Ahhh.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Yeah, hopefully when mark comes back he could help me weed this little bug out.
  • Options
    Andy KAndy K
    edited July 2006
    Hey all, I got it working again!

Yeah it looks like that option ("Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership") wasn't there under my Account--> Forum Preferences page. Could have been some extension that jacked it up.

I checked my Roles section to make sure that the Master Administrator had the ability to receive emails for new memberships, and sure enough it was checked.

So I just unchecked it, saved the role, went back in, saw it was still still checked for some reason, so I unchecked it again and saved again a second time. The third time I went in, it was unchecked that time. I checked that box and saved. I'm not sure if the fact that I had to uncheck it, save, and it was still unchecked had anything to do with it (I'm pretty sure I didn't skip hitting Save), maybe it'll set off some lightbulbs for Mark.

I went into my forum preferences and the New Users menu appeared, with "Receive email notifications when new users apply for membership" right under it.

I created a test user application event, and sure enough I got an email within seconds.

It might be worthwhile to investigate, but at least we have a workaround for other folks who will hit this issue.

Thanks all!

-Andy
This discussion has been closed.