Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Preview Post Problems

AprecheApreche
edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I'm having some problems with the Preview Post addon. My friend pointed out that ordered lists were being improperly styled in the previews. So I came to the site and updated the previewpost addon to version 2.0 (was using 1.2). Now the preview post button still appears, but it doesn't do anything. Nobody can preview their posts. What to do?

Comments

• Options
    If you have Quicktags installed, update that too.

Worked for me :)
  • Options
    nope, no quicktags.
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited July 2006
    You do know that the preview shows up as a 'comment' now, right? So, in a discussion if you preview it will essentially create another comment and preview it in that, instead of showing the preview below the input fields like before. If you're still quite sure it dosn't preview the post then it's probably a javascript error of some sort. What browser were you using?
  • Options
    Boy, do I feel stupid. Thanks.
  • Options
    I never preview my posts so i hadnt noticed that but it's pretty awesome sir!
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited July 2006
    Thanks. It's actually quite a recent update; I had gotten the idea from yayhooray's preview system, but adapted the concept to work with the existing AJAX-based previewing system. Mark's probably tired of updating my extensions, but I also just added an option button to the 'comment' to allow you to submit it from there, so you won't have to scroll back down if you have a long post.

I suppose the next step is AJAX-ified posting and inline editing :-P
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Cool beans. Perhaps it could be highlighted in some way? I'm not sure - i can see how for users who arent concentrating they'd expect the preview to go somewhere else and wouldnt notice it being added as comment then they might even think they'd already posted it or something. I like it a lot but it could just stand out a bit more i think? Could even bring in some of these spanky ajax slides or whatever but that's entirely user preference so i'll go over to you on that one. (for the record i didnt see sirnots edit before posting this)

I'm gonna stop rambling now...
  • Options
    TreyTrey Charlotte NC New
    I'm actually running into a problem with it now, when I go to preview the post it just shows my name and then right now after it, its not showing the actual comment itself. It was working fine earlier and I havent changed anything within the file either. This has happening with the previoud version (since you did just update it) So I figured I would also update mine, and its still doing it.
    I'm also getting a javascript error with it saying "no element is found" in ajax.php
  • Options
    What do you mean when you say "I'm also getting a javascript error with it saying "no element is found" in ajax.php"? Are you saying an error is occuring in ajax.php, or the browser is showing js errors, or...? @mini: Well the goal of this type of preview system was to make it look as much like a comment as possible, so users could see exactly what it'd look like. I had figured a notice in the description would be enough, but I guess not. I suppose I could add something to make it a little more conspicuous, but I'd rather not color it as it'd conflict with other styles, and preferrably not use one of those js animations if possible. Maybe a background image of some sort?
  • Options
    the browser is showing the errors as a javascript error -- web developer extension for firefox
  • Options
    I'm wondering if this could be made to show attachments in the preview as well? I guess it may not since the attachments have not yet been uploaded to the server, but I'm no expert so is this possible?
  • Options
    Trey, could you post the exact error? Roguefoxx, I'll look into it, but I can't guarantee anything.
  • Options
    Actually SirNot, after thinking about it the only reason you would like to preview attachments is if you could add them in various places within your post. As it stands the attachments are only added to the end of the post. So if or until the attachment addon is capable of that then it probably isn't necessary.
  • Options
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

^^ theres a preview of how I see it, with the javascript error that web devel is throwing at me. If you would like to check it out for yourself you can here its open membership so you'll get approve right away
  • Options
    Yeah SirNot, i agree with your looking-as-much-like-a-post-as-possible thing. Background image is a good idea though, perhaps just a 'PREVIEW' watermark thing?
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited July 2006
    That is odd... Could you put in an var_dump($_POST); before the echo($Text); in ajax.php and see what happens?

That's sort of what I was thinking of as well, mini. I'll see what it looks like.
  • Options
    I tried adding that and nothing came up. I was also thinking it could be another extension conflicting with it, but that wasnt the case either because I disabled a bunch of the extensions that do have some sort of javascript with them =/
  • Options
    Try adding that line right before $Text = ForceIncomingString('Data', '');Does it show anything when you preview then?
  • Options
    no, but I started moving it around between the included statements, and its not showing up after the
    include('../../conf/extensions.php'); line, so I'm thinking it is some sort of extension that could be causing it to not work right. I'm about to head out now but when I get back I'll mess with it some more and if I find out it was an extension messing it up I'll post it back here
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited July 2006
    Well, good luck. You could also list the extensions you've currently got enabled, we might be able to help some. And mini, how's this? http://lussumo.com/addons/?PostBackAction=AddOn&AddOnID=84
This discussion has been closed.