Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to make a member, a moderator for a specific category?

On my website I have many category and I want to make a member, moderator for a specific category. So that he/she can only be able to manage that specific category. Is there a way to do so?

Comments

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited September 2014

When editing a category, activate this checkbox to set custom permissions for each role:

• My website has more than 50 category, And that is not the correct way to handle this situation !

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Irfanalam123

that is not the correct way to handle this situation

Well, since you obviously know what to do, we'll consider this question closed.

• edited September 2014

@whu606 said:
    Irfanalam123

Well, since you obviously know what to do, we'll consider this question closed.

If I would know this then why I would asked this??

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

you got an answer, and a correct one,

see the other discussion - on how to ask a question?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• According to answer I had been given then I will have to create more than 50 roles then assigned it to category wise. I dont want to created 50 roles. Just I want to add a specific member to a moderator for specific group !

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2014

Does it really matter if they are moderators for all discussions, just tell them to stick to their group. and find moderators you can trust.

I would add 50 people to the moderator group and be done with it. find moderators you can trust with their duties, or cancel their paycheck.

I don't know if there is a moderator specific categories plugin. perhaps, someone knows and you could hire them to develop.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• edited September 2014

The situation is like this....
    I am configuring a forum for my college using vanilla...
    The category there should be are ( Nested Category)

Computer Engineering

1. 3rd Semester
    2. 4th Semester
    3. ......................
    4. 8th Semester

Mechanical Engineering

• 3rd Semester
    • 4th Semester
    • 8th Semester

Civil Engineering

• 3rd Semester
    • 4th Semester
    • 8th Semester

and many more for all branches available in my college...

So the Moderator for Computer Engineering
    3rd Semester
    will not know about Computer Engineering
    5th Semester

or Civil Engineering
    3rd Semester
    or all other other category also...
    But according to moderator rules, they can do anything in any category...
    Thats why I wanted to know is there something to handle this situation and add a member, a moderator for specific category only!!

• The comment posted above is not formatted correctly !

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2014

@Irfanalam123‌

I think you are confused about what this forum is for.

It gives free, volunteer support for self-hosted Vanilla installations.

It is not meant to provide a customised solution to every desired modification.

If you don't want to use the solution offered, you should think about hiring a developer to give you the solution you seem to want.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Vanilla uses roles for all permission checks. You cannot, out of the box, assign permisssions per user.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.