Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Is it possible to view a list of all photos and videos you have posted in vanilla forum?

This would be a great profile feature the view could be the list of posts containing media content , or a list of the media content itself.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2014

for attachments - you could use

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/myattachments-plugin

for inline images and messages you would need to search the body of all discussions and comments for
    jpg|jpeg|png|gif and video and sound related media.

you could do a cron job to search thru every forum discussion and comment for everything and put it in a table with user id, commentid /or discussions id.

then incrementally add to it based on last discussion and comment since you last ran it.

I suspect it would be a performance killer.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    for attachments - you could use

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/myattachments-plugin

for inline images and messages you would need to search the body of all discussions and comments for
    jpg|jpeg|png|gif and video and sound related media.

you could do a cron job to search thru every forum discussion and comment for everything and put it in a table with user id, commentid /or discussions id.

then incrementally add to it based on last discussion and comment since you last ran it.

I suspect it would be a performance killer.

Thanks for the idea here, i want to do something a bit like Twitter where every tweet that contains images can be viewed in the photo/video area of the profile. In regards to performance would upping your server/hosting kit assist with this?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I would try to avoid the performance break by either

• creating a table MediaLinks with fields ID|DiscussionID|CommentID|Link|UserID|WhatSoEver... which is updated on discussion/comment AfterSave event
    • extending comment/discussion with one field MediaLinks which contains all links in json or as serialized array

Having your own table would be great if you would like to show popular images, using the comment/discussion table would be great if you would simply like to give additional information to standard views

• Options

If you are looking do search index solution, like sphinx, or elastic search. These are not out of the box solution.

I mean this the best possible way: Coming up with ideas is easy, if everybody could implement the ideas they would have done so.

grep is your friend.

• Options

That's great we are actually using Elastic Search to power our own location list.

So would it be best to store all images and videos in Elastic Search and then hook it into user profiles so it can display all the images and videos posted by the user?

• Options

@TownFish said:
    So would it be best to store all images and videos in Elastic Search and then hook it into user profiles so it can display all the images and videos posted by the user?

This is academic, beyond the scope of 2.1 help.

Videos and other media are often embedded, if they are individually stored or reference you don't need a search engine. Either way you will have design considerations.

grep is your friend.