Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Failure to update after upgrade to 2.1

This discussion was created from comments split from: Vanilla 2.1.5 released (and 2.0.18.14).

Comments

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

@whu606 said: To upgrade to 2.1 from 2.0.18, add this step:

Backup your database and conf/config.php file somewhere safe.
    Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones.
    Go to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update to force any updates needed.
    If it fails, try it a second times by refreshing the page.
    Delete the file /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php

I tried to up grade again today, 1st was about 3 or 4 months ago, I got the same results every thing on my forum is over to the left of the page and a total mess. So much wrong i don't where to start. I'm on FB page theme i did try the default theme but no difference.

• @DenisS‌ Set up a vanilla installation on your local PC, turn on debugging and prepare your theme, plugins, etc. for the update, before you do it on your live site.

Maybe open a new thread for specific problems you find along the way.

edited November 2014

@Bleistivt said:
    DenisS‌ Set up a vanilla installation on your local PC, turn on debugging and prepare your theme, plugins, etc. for the update, before you do it on your live site.

Maybe open a new thread for specific problems you find along the way.

I have 3 forums working from the same database I use one as a test bed, which is what i done for the upgrade. I backed up all files before on the test site then done the upgrade. When it all went wrong i copied the back-up back and the site looks as it was.Then I go to the dashboard because on the test site the wysiwyg was not there just plain text in discussions.
    I find in the addons menu, plugins and few other things are not there, so i copied the full files from the working site change the Banner, but the addons menu is like this, see before and after pic's. I don't know how to get it back, anyone any ideas?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@DenisS I split your troubleshooting to its own discussion.

• @DenisS For the posts to appear with formatting, you have to enable the cleditor (WYSIWYG) plugin.

So basically, you are missing links for a few plugin configuration pages?
    Check if these plugins are copatible with vanilla 2.1 here:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26703/plugins-themes-that-work-and-don-t-work-in-vanilla-2-1/p1

Some plugins may not even be needed anymore on vanilla 2.1

edited November 2014

What I have decided to do when I have few few days to spare is, Install 2.1 NOT upgrade then rebuild, the test site first. As yesterday trying to find out why all went to the left side I tried other themes and the 2 I tried on my 2.0.18 were Nebula & Embed- friendly and the both sent all to the left. Where the problem is in my code i don't know. That's why I will install a fresh copy of 2.1, when I've done that i will install the plugins i have become to like, and do my own report of errors if any. I can't code very well but can find problems easily ;-) Thanks for your help.

One major question: Will 2.1 be compatible with my Database already set up?

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator
    edited November 2014

Yes, if you run /utility/structure after pointing your new installation to the old database, there should be no problems.