HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Add more/better information to Roles & Permissions screen

Intro:

After setting up my very first Vanilla forum and importing all data from my old vBulletin board I noticed that my roles and permissions were not set up. With no knowledge of Vanilla it was not at all clear to me what all the checkboxes meant.

For example under Garden it says "Manage settings" but I had not idea what it meant. Does it mean the user can manage it's own settings or also other user's settings, or even the global forum settings? Same with the Default Category Permissions, do the "Edit" and "Delete" checkboxes mean users can edit and delete their own topics, or edit and delete everyone's topics?

Eventually I found the "Need more help" box in the top right corner that contained a video giving a short explanation of what the Garden checkboxes were for etc. R_J and hgtonight also gave me some help here on the forum.

Suggestion:

Add a better explanation to the individual checkboxes in the Roles & Permissions menu. Add tooltips to the row and column headers and to the checkboxes explaining exactly what each checkbox enables or disables and explain that Garden means Admin stuff.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

One of the most common questions I get is "what does permission x do?"

I started a page on the community wiki here: http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Permissions

It was last update June 2013, but the permission system hasn't changed much (if at all).

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

@lepel said:

Add a better explanation to the individual checkboxes in the Roles & Permissions menu. Add tooltips to the row and column headers and to the checkboxes explaining exactly what each checkbox enables or disables and explain that Garden means Admin stuff.

good idea.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.