HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

feedback on our new forum

hey good people of the vanilla community. we just finished most of the tests on the new forum we built using vanilla and believe we should introduce the site to the vanilla community for feedbacks and any other comment that will be of help.
The url is http://www.teckroom.com.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Thanks for trying my addon :)

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2015

Although I've been told "remember the best part of the internet is you get to not respond"

I thought I would respond and Thank you as well as Welcome you and say it looks good.

I guess the appropriate thing would be to say "Thanks for using my add on and also my plugin modification."

Thankful2 is clean and uncluttered as well.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks alot for the feedback and we also thank you for the addons, they have been helpful in adding more features to the forum. Gracias!!!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Since you are using silicon theme of jspautsch‌ this is more a feedback to his work (which is truly awesome):

When I look at the start page (as a guest) I see 1. the Howdy, Stranger Sign in, 2. the sign-in symbol on the upper right and 3. the profile icon which also redirects me to the sign-in page. When I look at a discussion, I get 4. sign-in to comment link presented.

That adds up to 4 links with the same purpose on one page. That's way more than is needed.

The discussion has a facebook and a twitter reaction. Not sure about that, but the facebook link seems strange. And hey, while the small reaction buttons are on the left, there is exactly the same function on the right of the discussion! Again: keep your UI uncluttered.

Do you know that you do not have any "Best recent content"? If you try to present something that is "best" and you show nothing at all, your visitors might guess that everything is equally bad.

The two logos at the bottom of your page doesn't fit from their colors.

Look at the Activity page: some lines show you the facebook/twitter react buttons, but most do not. "Why is that?" would I ask if I were a user of your forum.

And that genious way of displaying the posting date is not used for answers in the activity stream. Another thing I would wonder about...

In the recent discussions list there are some guys without a profile picture? At least there are some lines that break the layout.

The "got to top" button is always right above other links. So if I'm bad at aiming and miss that small button, I open up a link which I didn't want to. Why not add a little bit more extra space to the right and put the button there?

Your "Terms of Service" link is dead, Privacy Policy is totally fucked up and the text is near to unreadable.

I think the popup boxes (e.g. for login) should have a border in order to mark them more clearly as an overlay, but that might simply my personal preference.

• @R_J, we will get to work on the suggestions immediately.
    Thanks alot.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@R_J said:

Do you know that you do not have any "Best recent content"? If you try to present something that is "best" and you show nothing at all, your visitors might guess that everything is equally bad.

That is Yaga's fault. It strictly only shows content created within the last week. The latest version in git (which is soon to be Yaga 1.1) fixes this by selecting content based on reaction date.

@R_J said:

Look at the Activity page: some lines show you the facebook/twitter react buttons, but most do not. "Why is that?" would I ask if I were a user of your forum.

This is core functionality, IIRC. The reactions event is only fired on activity items that can receive comments.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Even though it's core, it could be confusing ;)
    If - just as an example - if I would see an activity entry like "hgtonight earned the 250 LOLs badge", I would click "awesome"

• betabeta New
    edited January 2015

@hgtonight said:
    This is core functionality, IIRC. The reactions event is only fired on activity items that can receive comments.

thanks for the clarification, will also be waiting for the yaga best content fix.

• @R_J it's kinda confusing really, but the users will get used to it. Posts can receive comments while the earned badges are just like a way of showing a news feed.
    Thanks, working on other aspects.