Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to override views in the conversations app from a theme

I have a strong suspicion this is a total noob question. I developed the theme for my Vanilla site starting with the Bootstrap theme. I have since written overrides in the theme for a couple of the dashboard application's views, but now I need to override the view for the messages/messages.php view in the conversations app.

Simply adding a file under themes/mytheme/views/messages/messages.php or themes/mytheme/views/messages/index.php doesn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing something obvious here?

Answers

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Try themes/mytheme/views/conversations/messages/messages.php. Not sure if that really work but that's what I would try: adding the application somewhere in the path.

That said, I would advice you to avoid view overrides whenever possible. Try to solve your problems with CSS and hooks. Future versions of Vanilla might add functionality in one of those views (maybe even an additional, required field) that your users will not be able to see then.

• Options
    jamesincjamesinc Sydney ✭✭

Yeahhh, I could, and for additional functionality I do write plugins, but when I'm just trying to correct odd mark-up decisions I'd rather override the template - ultimately it would be more effort than simply periodically pulling releases from git and merging.