Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Registration with "approval" selected still results in "basic" registration occurring

In dashboard/settings/registration, whenever I click on "approval" and click "save", nothing changes and it still directs the register buttons to the "basic" registration form. When I return to the dashboard/settings/registration page, none of the radio buttons are appearing pre-checked, but I know the "basic" registration form is being selected because when I alter applications/dashboard/views/entry/registerbasic.php, then i see the form change as well.

Perhaps some of the troubles I'm having have to do with the fact that I imported in my database from 2.0.17.9 directly to 2.1.11 after deleting that database per these instructions (which I am very grateful for), but I wonder if some necessary database tables are missing.

If anyone knows how I might be able to go about debugging this issue, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2015

are you in preview theme mode.

when you change the theme to default via dashboard do changes take effect

your choice is reflected in config.php

e.g. these are the four options from the dashboard in vanilla 2.1.x

Dashboard Setting|  |  respective setting in config.php
    ============================================================================================
    Approval            |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Approval';
    Basic                   |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Captcha';
    Invitation          |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Invitation';
    Connect             |  $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Connect';

A fifth option is available via config.php

the most basic registration method....

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Basic'; // just absolute basic no Captcha

change your $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method']

to

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['Method'] = 'Approval';

if you want approval registration.

also make sure you have an applicant role.

if your applicant id # is 4 and if your defqult member is id 8

you should have this in your config

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles'] = array('8');
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID'] = '4';

I believe the FAQ question 18 and 19 has info on roles and permissions and how to reset.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq-what-frequently-asked-questions/p1

I would advise against confirm e-mail if you use approval registration.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks for all the really helpful information. I was wondering, why do you advise against confirm e-mail if we're using approval registration? If we had to pick between the two, I think we would have to choose confirm e-mail.

• if you choose confirm by e-mail they don't have to be approved by you they automatically become members on confirmation, even if you choose approval registration.

choose what you like. I personally found approval is easier to weed out spammers and troublemakers. your choice.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.