Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Symbol Edit "User not found"

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Hi all,

I run 2.2 and use Symbol Edit. For me as admin Symbol Edit is functional, but when my users try to access the page from the settings menue or the direct link they receive a "User not found." page.

I didn't find any specific settings in the roles for Symbol Edit.
Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for that?

Thanx for info,
phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Sorry , this addon only works with 2.1 at the moment.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Yep, therefore i ask as i know some people here already run 2.2 boards like me and might have some experience with the case.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

I run 2.2

from the announcement.

Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 can now be downloaded. It requires PHP 5.3* and is NOT recommended for production environments or non-developers.

you have given the quintessential reason why it is not a good idea to run beta versions of software live especially if you are not a Developer. it becomes alot of chatter from people running test versions of products without the skills to solve there own problems when using addons that are not updated for 2.2 (because volunteer developers don't want to chase a moving BETA target).

Most people recognize this problem, some don't,

Phreak, Have you updated all your themes on this forum to work with vanilla 2.1 ? and do they use vanilla 2.1 views or are they still vanilla 2.0.x

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/198723#Comment_198723

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

@vrijvlinder said:
    Sorry , this addon only works with 2.1 at the moment.

works for me in 2.1.11 and 2.2beta1 environment. I must be lucky. But the expectation I have is that a plugin or theme should work in the most current stable vanilla environment which is vanilla 2.1.11 as we speak, or it should be marked by the author as abandoned. So working in a beta environment is a bonus. I must not have any other plugins or themes that might produce conflicts.

not sure if it works in 2.2 alpha don't bother with alpha versions.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited October 2015

In every OS community i have been with many people that have articulated problems and tried to fix them with Beta or RC software. Almost all forums (like this) do specifically open categories for those discussions and in use extensions. I didn't adress the developer here and it was not my intention (though i contacted vrijlinder privately if she wants to look into the issue for payment because i though she took it over, that's not exactly clear from the addon site).

I was looking for other "members" who may have struggled and found a solution for the same thing. If i use Beta software or not shouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone would have just jumped in and said "Yes, yes. You gotta fix this line." or "Not a 2.2 issue experienced it under 2.1 when using extension X". In every OS development cycle there are people who work with it productivly and they are also important to dig real usage problems.

Regarding the themes. I would say it's just my thing if i update them or not and it has no connection to my question.

Would be fine if i wouldn't be the target of this aggression so often.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

As I welcome all new users, I welcome you as well to follow these steps. hope it helps.

let me suggest to you one more time phreak.

it works much better for you and the ones helping you.

• state the version number you are using. 2.2 means as much as blatherskite.
      there is no 2.2 there is 2.2b1 and the 2.2.100+ series when posting discussion questions. Ambiguous versions may lead to no answers or perhaps the wrong one.

• read the troubleshooting steps here. if you don't understand how to follow the steps. we can help. As it is, the plugin works in 2.2 beta for me.

also see how to troubleshoot mysterious problems in the "How to become adept...". link. pull up the link by clicking here:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20231/how-to-become-somewhat-adept-at-modifying-vanilla-to-meet-your-needs-for-free

this may help you as well.
    click here for FAQ http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/28420/faq/p1

caveat:

from the announcement.

Vanilla 2.2 beta 1 can now be downloaded. It requires PHP 5.3* and is NOT recommended for production environments or non-developers.

my guess as to why they say this is for two reasons.

• so non-developers without skills don't flood them with questions that have nothing to do with the beta testing.

• and so users without a test environment or the development skills to accurately submit fixes don't inadvertently use the beta version,

Bottom Line: this plugin works as expected in vanilla 2.2beta1 as far as my testing shows I suggest you troubleshoot the standard way, since it may very well be something you introduced to create the issue. Creating a test vanilla 2.2b1 database and test with default theme and no other plugins enabled would be advantageous for you and test plugins one at a time, if you are unfamiliar with other troubleshooting steps.

and you are correct what you do with your themes is your choice. the odd thing is, you get upset if someone asks you to update themes that you haven't updated for years, and you expect developers to update plugins for a vanilla version that is not even stable. Is there another developer who can help phreak update phreak's themes?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

mr. Phreak.

let me begin with a quote from Macbeth

MACBETH

There would have been a time for such a word.
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
    To the last syllable of recorded time,
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

Enter a Messenger
    Thou comest to use thy tongue; thy story quickly.

Messenger

Gracious my lord,
    I should report that which I say I saw,
    But know not how to do it.

MACBETH

Well, say, sir.
    Sorry you have got your knickers in a twist.

I am just giving you tips on how to provide info to help people help you.
    How can we try to replicate your issue if we have no idea what version you are using. you have been using software for a long time.

• You should realize by this time that the version of software is indeed often important if someone wants to try to replicate your issue when you cry out for help.

• the people who supply the answers and provide the info needed, generally get the quickest and correct answers.

Truth be told, 90% of the problems you have are not the result of broken plugins written by developers, but frequently things you break yourself or might be unfamiliar with.

And vrijvlinder and I try to give people pointers on how to logically troubleshoot if someone keep on breaking things and thinking plugins are broken when they are not.

it is questioner's choice to use a logical method supplied by someone who they cry out to, if they have no other ideas how tor troubleshoot.

I have also provided the version number of vanilla I tested with the plugin and found no problem. you should say why thank you for testing.

Mr. Peregrine and Ms. Vrijvlinder thank you for using our plugins. The #1 plugin shop.

@vrijvlinder said: Peregrine might be a nicer person with more patience

I don't think so you have the patience of a saint V.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I think this discussion shouldn't be closed. The question isn't answered. Instead of closing a valid question, insults should be deleted.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

BUT, the question is answered and should be closed if he can't do some simple troubleshooting as explained multiple times.

• it works in 2.2b1 by my testing which I did as a favor.

He has hounded both vrijvlinder and myself in the past with the expectation we should troubleshoot beta versions or add features or write plugins that we don't deem necessary.

and he provides no other information/

he needs to troubleshoot by disabling his plugins and using default theme. since he created his own issue as far as I can tell. As I've told him before. In this case he has to help himself because he's the one who knows what other junk he has added.

he just refuses hmmmmph.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

v said: peregrine has been insulted many times in the past

I am usually insulted when I provide good troubleshooting advice and people neglect to use it. In my mind the way to troubleshoot is simplify the equation, and if the person doesn't want to troubleshoot, that is insulting.
    I find the people who follow the steps suggested usually find the answer as indicated by just a few of the discussions posted today. The people who continue to flounder ignore the troubleshooting steps.

If someone insults me, I have no problem. I just repeat the troubleshooting steps or instructions until they follow them and solve the problem.

let me repeat.
    I do find it a bit insulting when people try to push and push developers to try to troubleshoot for beta versions of software.

caveat:

from the announcement.

and it is a bad precedent to have people hassle you about plugins when the >version is not even a release candidate and still a moving target.

especially when the person hounding won't even fix their own add-ons to work in .the stable version of 2.1.

If phreak finds this insulting he needs to calm down and not go berserk.

and if Phreak is insulted because we can't replicate his issue and it works as expected, not much can be said. I am not sure why he is going berserk - because I truly feel i have given him good advice.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
  • whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I have deleted some of the comments on here.

Please, if you can't make a civil response to someone, don't make any response at all.

@phreak: the url looks like that /profile/symboledit/id/name and as far as non-admin users are concerned, the id isn't important. You get the profile presented that belongs to the user name (what's funny: even if you are this user or if you aren't logged in at all).

I can only recreate the User not found message if I put a username in the url that doesn't exist. Are you sure the format of the url/the url your users are opening are in the form above?

edited October 2015

@whu606: Thanx for helping de-escalate this discussion. Can i ask you to change the discussion title to "SymbolEdit - User settings path configuration" and move the topic to the category "Feedback". Thank you.

@R_J: Thanx R_J for your time. It was basically a fault by me and your input lead me there. I assumed that SymbolEdit allows - like most user paths of the core or plugins for Vanilla - that you can adress the users specific site without ID and Username. So my implementation recommended the user to use

~/profile/symboledit/

while actually as you desribed only this works.

~/profile/symboledit/ID/Username/

It's for example different with all settings links from the "Edit Profile" page in the #Panel. Also plugins like "Signatures", "Who's online" and so on work without the ID and the username in the path. So it's not a 2.2 version problem.

I will look into the plugin, maybe it is possible to adapt it to meet this URL-scheme. It's seems to me like a Vanilla Path Config Convention (or whatever coders would call it) that the SymbolEdit plugin is not yet taking in consideration or?

Thank you for the hand.

While you wouldn't need anything more than "/profile/symboledit" for users, you need "/profile/symboledit/something" for admins so that they can change the symbol of other users - the plugin must be able to identify the user of the current profile. I think this should be done by the ID, but there is a mixture of ID and the user name which is not ideal, but shouldn't be a real problem.

The code in the plugin is the following:

if (($Sender->User->UserID == $VUserID) || ($IsAdmin)) {
                $SideMenu->AddLink('Options', T('SymbolTab'), '/profile/symboledit/' . $Sender->User->UserID . '/' . Gdn_Format::Url($Sender->User->Name), FALSE, array('class' => 'Popup'));
            }

As you can see, the link is build with "/profile/symboledit" + ID + UserName and doesn't use any fancy new conventions at all, so there shouldn't be a problem. In order to help you it would be helpful to see
    a) how the link in the users profile looks and
    b) how it looks after he has clicked on it (maybe there is some rewrite magic there?)

Thanx R_J, i have tested and played around with it. Deleting the ID and the Username from the URL structure seems also interact with not properly saving the selection from the select menu. Ok, i'm really walking in unknown territory here. I'd better return to paths i know and let someone other pick up here.

BUT it seesm that i found the issue that i causing my problem (besides the URL convention issue). Only users with umlauts (ä, ü, ö, ß) have this issue. I was confused because some users with regular usernames also reported it and i checked every single user now through.

So either it's a restructuring in Vanilla 2.2 that causes the SymbolEdit page to not work anymore or it's in the code of Symbold Edit.

As you can see in the snippet above the user name is url formatted in the link. So you would have to rawurldecode it later, but seriously: I think relying on the user name instead of the id is a bad idea.

Maybe all your problems are solved with that:
    Line 117: $Sender->GetUserInfo($SymbolUserID);

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited October 2015

phreak said: BUT it seesm that i found the issue that i causing my problem (besides >the URL convention issue). Only users with umlauts (ä, ü, ö, ß) have this issue. I >was confused because some users with regular usernames also reported it`

Thank you phreak for supplying the necessary info to help you.

• Actually this change in default.php would work.

$Sender->GetUserInfo("",$SymbolUserName, $SymbolUserID);

the user reference was not inserted properly. the userid is always selected first when given with username.

r_j said Maybe all your problems are solved with that:
    Line 117: $Sender->GetUserInfo($SymbolUserID);

I don't believe r_j's change will work but feel free to try it.

phreak as you may recall you were the one who wanted the additonal feature that allows admin to change symbol which was added specifically for you. now you want the url's to change. lol.

@peregrine: you are right! I was irritated by the description and did not read the code. UserID must be set as third parameter (or at least performs best if used that way)

@R_J and @peregrine: Thank you both. peregrines fix seem to work. I say thanx and apologize also for the mayhem on top of this thread. I know i'm part of the problem... but also part of the solution. ;)