Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

System-Emojis to strip text - Known issue? (iOS/Android/Windows)

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited October 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I experienced the case that System Emoji killing the text after the Emoji on database submission.

Example: Person types a text and uses iOS Emoji

Juchhu it's me O.o, where are you? (imagine system Emoji instead of Vanilla Emoji Smiles)

Will just show:

Juchhu it's me

Is this a known issue and are there idea how to resolve it?

Something to learn from @Anonymoose plugin?
http://vanillaforums.org/addon/emojipro-plugin

Greetz, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015

This is a test here:

"Testingword1"

Edit post: Test result > Same problem in this forums. Emoji and Testingword2 are not displayed and no warning is given.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with Emojis that can be typed into post replies via Smartphone Keyboards (i'm not speaking of Vanilla Advanced Editor Smiles)?

They still strip every text that comes after them.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator
    edited February 2016

Not only was my emoji stripped from display but it was discarded before saving.

I tested U+1F606 specifically.

№ Code Brow.
    1 U+1F600

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Should i escalate this to an issue for 2.3 or 2.4? There has been some but i can't really understand what happened after this closing #1405.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues?utf8=✓&q=is:issue+is:open+emoji

• Options
    edited September 2016

Coming to this solution here: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/4309

Hi save is it to change a database from utf8_general_ci to utf8mb4 encoding?

Anyone has any experience with that under 2.2.1?

(Maybe @hgtonight or @R_J? You both have worked quiet deeply with similar things right?)

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I have no experiences at all with that, but from what I can find about that topic, I'd say it is save to switch. In utf8mb tables, types have lower maximum sizes and need more hard disc space. But that should be no problem at all.