Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Comments the killer of server

edited January 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hey guys. I have been observing the performance and it seems vanilla comments:

1) are killing my servers cpu and memory. (i do have cache and cloudflare)
2) comments sometimes do load, sometimes don't (cache problem or just server strain)
3) take literally over 10 seconds to load at times.
4) sign in and link problems with embedding and opening links in iframes

Will vanilla comments get some love in future? to make it more like disqus, at least performance and options wise or this is it? It seems i will be replacing them with disqus, too bad because this was one of the main reasons why i used vanilla forums. Maybe phpbb would serve better in this.

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2016

You've given us zero actionable information, which, to me, indicates you've done zero investigative work. What "cache" do you even have? What's the actual request rate at which things slow down? How big is your Comment and/or User tables? There's a ton of information you could be using to diagnose this technically, and you've chosen to provide "killing my server" and "literally over 10 seconds". Seriously?

The onus of proof isn't on us to tell you why Vanilla Comments works well under load - we watch it work great on tremendously large sites all the time. The onus is on you to discover the flaws in your system and address them before blaming the free software you downloaded for committing servericide and telling us it needs work. We might be able to help, but only if you give us something to work with here.