Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Adding Message from Dashboard causes blank screens

Just installed VF Open Source, did not choose ver 2.2. Trying to make an announcement on the top of all pages. On Dashboard I go to Appearance-Messages-Add Message. I choose All Forum Pages, All Categories, Above Main Content. Type a message, choose “Casual” or any other, then Enable and Save.

The message does not appear on an already displayed forum page. Then if I click on any category or discussion it brings up a totally blank page. Likewise if I redisplay an already displayed forum page it goes blank. I must go back to the dashboard tab that I kept open, and delete the message for things to work normally again. Same problem using both Firefox and Safarii. Thanks for any help!

Best Answer

Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@LuxVera

Welcome to the Community.

You are exposing your forum and web server to significant security risks if you are using any version lower than 2.2.

What reason would you have for not choosing 2.2?

Start by setting the theme to the default Vanilla one, disabling plugins and see if the issue remains.

• I have this issue as well. I'm using 2.2.1 and when adding any message, I get the 500 error. In my server error logs, I get a message about php depreciation and comments not allowed to start with # on two lines of php5.ini (which, of course, I don't have access to).

Deleting the message puts it all back to normal. Any way around this?

Thanks

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited August 2016

@squalle said:
    Deleting the message puts it all back to normal. Any way around this?

This capability , adds a new module with your content. if your content has bad html or JS , it will cause a problem. Adding content in the messages section is a precarious thing if it is not correct.

If only adding text causes an error then you must report this issue. Because it might be a bug.

Try using the Pockets plugin to add you content and see if you suffer the same issue.