Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Errors when installing Vanilla Forum on my server.

RMKRMK New
edited March 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Sorry for the basic newb question but I'm desperate here. I've been trying to install vanilla forum for days and it's not working for me.

One thing I'm not clear on. Where do I upload the file in my cpanel? Public_html? Public_FTP? When I try to I get errors.

I created a new mysql database. Then I create a new folder in the FTP area and try to upload the forum file. Many of the files don't upload all the way and it says "an unknown error occurred."

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've read several tutorials and I can't seem to make this work. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The reason why you don't find an answer here is that your problem isn't really Vanilla related ;)

The unpacked files from the zip should reside in Public_html or a subfolder. From what you are describing, I guess that your Public_html folder is the webroot. So if you find the index.php that's included in the zip right in Public_html folder, you can access Vanilla at yourdomain.com/. If you have a subfolder "vanilla" in Public_html, you would have to key yourdomain.com/vanilla in your browser

If you can unzip files on your server, you can directly upload the zip file. Otherwise you have to unpack it on your PC and upload the individual files.

• Options

Thank you for the fast response. I still get these errors where some files won't upload. Any ideas on what's going wrong here? Sorry if this is not Vanilla related.

I am trying to put the files in a subfolder so my forum can be found at mydomain.com/forum

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If already the upload of the files fails, you have to contact your hoster. No one else will be able to help you.

You could try some things though: only upload a few files and not all at once, for example. But if I were you I would write a mail to my hoster to ask for support

• Options

Will do. Thank you for your time.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2016

I recommend that you use FileZilla to upload and download to your server.

https://filezilla-project.org

Uploading this many files via the cpanel seldom works well.

Once you have FileZilla and set it up with your login credentials, then upload folder by folder to the forum folder you created to make sure they upload completely.

• Options

Yes that worked! Apparently some of the files were too large to be uploaded directly to my cPanel. Uploaded by FileZilla and it worked!

I'm having one issue that I can't seem to find a fix for. Hope you don't mind me asking here.

When I click on a forum thread, I just get a blank white screen. Any idea what's going wrong here?

Thanks you for your help!