HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Paid work: seeking experienced Vanilla dev/admin to help evaluate forum efficiency

AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband AfficionadoCole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

I've been running a forum at trstriathlon.com for about a year and a half. Traffic has increased steadily, and I need to start making some decisions based on scalability instead of "whatever seems neat to me". I need someone who can take a look at the plugins I'm using, the theme I created, and a few customizations, and tell me what can stay and what needs to go for maximum performance (or close). There's a good chance I'll even need help upgrading to 2.2 - as my publishing and editing roles have increased on the site, I have very little time for forum dev/admin work any more :( .

• I'm willing to pay someone to take a quick look (1-2 hours) and scope out how much work needs to be done.
  • I am then willing to pay someone to do as much of that work as possible. Doesn't have to be the same person, but obviously that would be preferable.

Basically, I need someone to point out all the stupid s**t I'm doing, tell me how to fix it, and then go about fixing it until I run out of budget. Rate of pay depends on experience and reputation, but the kind of person I'm looking for already knows how much their time is worth. You've done this many times before, either on your own sites or for other people. You're not going to be cheap, but every one of your hours will be worth several of most peoples' hours.

I don't have infinitely deep pockets, but I do understand that we're talking about more than just beer money here.

If you're interested, DM me:

• ballpark time range (3-5 hours, 5-10 hours, etc). I will not hold you to this, but you should have some idea of how long this sort of thing usually takes if you don't run into anything really weird.
  • your hourly rate.
  • if you are not @hgtonight or @peregrine or @Linc , a very short sentence/paragraph on your credentials.

Thanks - very sad to have been participating so little here lately,

Webstey

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The site looks great Aaron !

You should update to 2.2 as soon as possible for security reasons.
    A good start would be to fix or isolate all the errors that appear in the inspector console. Looks like the issue may be with where it is embedded. WP plugins ? images that don't load fast enough give a false 404 . The Forum Link gives a 404…

Good Luck!!

• AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the forum is actually shut down right now! We just moved to a new host, and they are having some kind of issue with it. I have asked if it's a performance issue and just waiting to hear back. Thanks @vrijvlinder !

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited March 2016

Uah Forum Offline? Push those guys or you could loose a big amount of traffic in the eyes of Google.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • AaronWebsteyAaronWebstey Headband Afficionado Cole Harbour, NS ✭✭✭

They're a very experienced WordPress shop, but not much experience with VF (like, possibly none). E.g., I had to help them out with the Nginx directives just to get the thing running. It's weird, for a day or 2 the forum was humming along super fast, so I'm not really sure what the issue is. Hopefully will find out soon.