Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Email Confirmation not Working - "Something has gone wrong." Error

Ive just imported a forum over from VBulletin 5,
Ive got the option set to require new users to confirm their email address and I have role named "Confirm Email" which is set to "default:unconfirmed"
When the link is clicked from the email Im getting the "
Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
Please check back in a little while.
"
Error on the link forumurl.com/entry/emailconfirm/1586044/WQK4JQ60

Any ideas what the problem is ?
Ive done some searching and seems it could be a permissions problem ?

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Try adding $Configuration['Debug'] = true; to /conf/config.php and see if you get more information.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks, I did that and got the following

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

This is weird. Are you able to create a new discussion?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

No, the user has the message "You need to confirm your email address. Click here to resend the confirmation email."
    I checked in the admin with a test user and they are showing as "registered" though.

• Options
    noncenonce Necro-on Forensics

Do you have any timing issues? Are SQL tuning parameters optimal for your situation.
    Curiousity has bit me, do you really have 1.5 million users?
    Do you have problems with other aspects of your forum or just this specific issue.

• Options
    edited March 2016

apparently from a fairly high altitude (so I can't be sure). But it seems to be retrying (tries 2) and then producing code null and message null.

Do you have an extremely large database or busy forum. is the error consistent.

• Options

Hi,

No we dont have that many members - a lot were spam accounts that were deleted on the old system, maybe there is some leftover that needs to be cleaned out of the database?

I have no other problems on the board - If I set the new members to approval, then it seems to work ok.

• Options

Edit: Approvals aren't working either.
    Could it be related to the users in the database, we have a lot of old deleted members ( spam signups on VBulletin ) which need removing

• Options
    edited March 2016

we have approached guessing mode.....
    you seem to indicate an error occurs during registration.
    Does Approval work without e-mail confirmation.
    Do you have an error when adding a user via the dashboard. or changing roles in the dashboard.

trimming the fat (old deleted members) couldn't hurt. if you can do it. it may not be related to the problem or it may be. if you are in test mode. you could purge 99% of the users in the user table and userrole table and see if you get working results. the error may be related during insertion in the userrole table, from the trace results. might be a worth a look at as well.
    Sounds tricky but you may be the only one able to solve the issue through table manipulation trial and error (to see if tables are an issue).