Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Where is data from users stored?

Can someone provide the path e.g. vanilla/folder/filename where user input is actually stored?
e.g. I make a Category entitled "Symphonies" - where is "Symphonies" stored?
A user discussion talks about "Mozart" - where is "Mozart" stored? Thanks very much!

Best Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited April 2016 Answer ✓

@LuxVera

The database is stored separately to your Vanilla installation files. Check with your host; normally, a tool like phpMyAdmin is provided to give you access to your databases.

It is the database which is the essence of your forum (discussions, posts, user details etc.) so you must work out how to make sure you have regular, secure back ups. This may be done by your host, but make sure you check, and I would still recommend working out how to save local copies.

If you lost your Vanilla installation files in a crash, you could have a working forum in a few minutes if you can access the database.

If you lose your database, you have lost all content from your forum.

Answers

• jackmaessenjackmaessen ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

all data is stored in the database

• Thank you, but I've been looking for a "database" and don't see it. Could you please give me the file path, like: vanilla/folder/subfolder/filename?

edited April 2016 Answer ✓

@LuxVera

The database is stored separately to your Vanilla installation files. Check with your host; normally, a tool like phpMyAdmin is provided to give you access to your databases.

It is the database which is the essence of your forum (discussions, posts, user details etc.) so you must work out how to make sure you have regular, secure back ups. This may be done by your host, but make sure you check, and I would still recommend working out how to save local copies.

If you lost your Vanilla installation files in a crash, you could have a working forum in a few minutes if you can access the database.

If you lose your database, you have lost all content from your forum.

@LuxVera

It's also worth learning how to export a database via phpMyAdmin, so that you can keep backups on your own PC/storage system.

Relying solely on your host is risking losing everything.

• Yep, I'll definitely keep backups on my own PC. And then backups from my PC to an external drive. One can't be too careful :)