Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Custom themes and plugins simmilar to polycoubt forum

BanksyBanksy New
edited June 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi Im new to vanilla and loving it. Does anyone know what base theme might be a good start to creating a forum simillar to the clean look of polycount? For a non coder are there any plug ins availible that work like the preview thread. I just need pointed in the right direction as this is my first week with the new software and the vanilla team did an amazing job with that site

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

There are many themes that look like this in the add ons, you would have to edit them a little to get it exactly but seems easy.

You just need to try several ones until you find something very similar. There are many plugins that do what you want. You need to scour the huge repo of add ons. Just make sure you avoid those that have not been updated since 2011 or so… they might not be compatible.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2016

Polycount had a professional designer create that and we simply implemented their design. Folks often undervalue the work of a great designer. I don't think we have any generic themes, even on cloud, that rise to that level.

• Options

I don't think we have any generic themes, even on cloud, that rise to that level.

I can't disagree more, there sure are plenty of themes here that could work for him with a bit of work. That theme is so much simpler than some of the ones I have created for this community. Bootstrap theme and others like it could work well for him.

Folks often undervalue the work of a great designer.

That is true.

• Options

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it. currently debating open source vs paid service paid service seems a bit high for m y needs though the product is amazing but from the looks of things with the amount of customization open source may be valuable.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Linc said:
    Polycount had a professional designer create that and we simply implemented their design. Folks often undervalue the work of a great designer. I don't think we have any generic themes, even on cloud, that rise to that level.

There are some questions concerning your style.css that I ask myself from time to time: do you compile it from a sass/less/whatever source and is that monolithic file available in chunks like, you know, colors, buttons, etc. like it is in some css frameworks? And speaking of css frameworks: I see Dashboard V3 changes are accompanied by changes to form elements to make them Bootstrap “compatible”. Are there any plans for making Vanilla use Bootstrap?

• Options

Are there any plans for making Vanilla use Bootstrap?

I was under the impression it already had….. this is like asking the Vatican if jesus christ was their model for christianity… no?

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Nah, it's just their framework >:)

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2016

@R_J said:
    do you compile it from a sass/less/whatever source and is that monolithic file available in chunks like, you know, colors, buttons, etc. like it is in some css frameworks?

We do, we use SASS. This repo has some basic tools for setting it up: https://github.com/vanilla/generator-vanilla

@R_J said:
    Are there any plans for making Vanilla use Bootstrap?

No, but when we finally overhaul our markup, we'll be moving to Bootstrap-like CSS class names.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Linc said:

@R_J said:
    do you compile it from a sass/less/whatever source and is that monolithic file available in chunks like, you know, colors, buttons, etc. like it is in some css frameworks?

We do, we use SASS. This repo has some basic tools for setting it up: https://github.com/vanilla/generator-vanilla

But the sass "source" for the basic style.css is not in any repo or is it? That would be interesting! I know the recommendation is to add custom.css on top of style.css but it appears to make no sense if already the source can be changed comfortably.
    But frankly y spoken: I have no sense for design and thus I'll most probably never create any theme at all. Its just that if sometimes I would, I would welcome working with the sources.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited June 2016

We compile the custom.css files from SASS, not the main style.css file. When that file is converted to SASS, it will be in the public repo. But I anticipate we'll continue to use an additive CSS strategy for themes, not an overwrite.