Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

"There was an error performing your request. Please try again."

Hello everyone,

I've recently begun encountering this error in 2.2, but even more so now in 2.2.1 to the point where it's near-constant. The error appears on two occasions:

• When posting a comment
  • When the website sits on it own and I'm not doing anything, and the error will just spontaneously appear

It would say it happens 33%-50% of the time when it gets really bad.

I've read on other threads that I can possibly pull up some sort of "debugging" page to see what is causing the error, but I can't quite seem to figure out how to do this. I was wondering if someone could help me that, so that I could in turn post the error here and perhaps brainstorm with your brilliant minds on solving this issue.

Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated as always, as is your time.

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited June 2016

@MrCanadian said:
    Hello everyone,

I've recently begun encountering this error in 2.2, but even more so now in 2.2.1 to the point where it's near-constant. The error appears on two occasions:

• When posting a comment

What other plugins and apps are you using, especially those involved when posting a comment? is your site overloaded?
    It could be a result of internal server errors 500 errors.

• When the website sits on it own and I'm not doing anything, and the error will just spontaneously appear

on what pages?

It would say it happens 33%-50% of the time when it gets really bad.

when your site is busy? or all the time

I've read on other threads that I can possibly pull up some sort of "debugging" page to see
    what is causing the error, but I can't quite seem to figure out how to do this. I was wondering if someone could help me >that, so that I could in turn post the error here and perhaps brainstorm with your brilliant minds on solving this issue.

check error logs and use browser tools to determine and reduce or remove apps and plugins to see if problem persists.
    check for internal server errors, 500 errors in logs.

Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated as always, as is your time.

Thank you very much!

web developer tools and error logs seem like your best hope to determine if it is the result of server setup configs, traffic, or plugin or app or network, etc.

see the network portion of this page to determine what post request occurs when you have error.
    if your problems occur 33%-50% of the time, it should be east to test with addons disabled to determine if they are the source of your problem.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Web_Console/Console_messages#Network

a few people have had problems when sql is in strict mode with other versions of vanilla.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    edited June 2016

To answer all the questions:

• I'm going through all the plugins now, and will report back with any changes I can find.

• I would consider it a low-traffic website.

• This error occurs on any page, including the main discussion page, on individual thread pages, etc.

• Does Vanilla Forums have a built-in error log I could view?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Maybe this reason: https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/25549/odd-javascript-errors-2-1b2

There is no error log in Vanilla for that. You would have to check the javascript error console

• Options

Alright, I'll check this out and report back - thanks.