Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How to block a posts content viewing based on user registration date.

BernieBernie New
edited June 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi have absolutely no programming experience to be able to do this correctly myself. I need to impliment coding on vanilla forum that will stop a user from viewing a posts content if the viewer was not registered on the site prior to the post being made.

Is this possible?

What php page to update and what code to insert?

Thank you

Answers

• Options

Th

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2016

There might be several ways to do this.

Typically it is done using a rank system which allows to mark the user as new or whatever for a certain amount of time until they gain points to gain permissions to view things or post links etc. for specific categories.

There could be a need for a plugin that can . There is a plugin called ForceRedirect that could possibly be modified to check for User Registration Date , 'May 15 2016' for example and return the member to the main discussion page. But then you want it to be based on specific old discussions and comments.

If User date of registration is >less than 2016 don't show discussions from 1949 and older.

The only problem I see with this logic , is that if someone who is an old member necroposts because they can see the discussion, then that discussion automatically moves to the top again no matter how old it is. You would need to prevent posting entirely on old posts so they don't get bumped up. Or close all discussions from 1949 and older to prevent posting.

You could also Hide the content using PremHide plugin or other plugins that hide content based on permissions.

Not sure if there are any that do this based on dates of registration against age of discussion. But I am sure it is possible.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Could they view comments that are created after their registration date even if the discussion wasn't?

Hook into the discussion model, add a where clause to the InsertDate column to be greater than the user's InsertDate.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks - I'll be playing around with the suggestions. Will let you know if I find a solution!