Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

need to complete the work of vanilla

kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

installed php5.6 need to complete the work of vanilla, something more?

thank you.

php.png 100.2K

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I guess everything you need for running Vanilla is checked, but here are several extensions more, that you would not need for Vanilla.
    I would recommend to also use memcached. This will speed up Vanilla significant

• Options

Thank you for your response.

@R_J написал:
    I guess everything you need for running Vanilla is checked, but here are several extensions more, that you would not need for Vanilla.

What several extensions in your opinion do not need? And another thing, whether this list is something that is responsible for the plugin.
    Thank you.

• Options

@kopna said:
    What several extensions in your opinion do not need?

At least those libraries should not be required for Vanilla, as far as I know:
    bcmath
    imap
    mysql
    mysqli
    pdo_sqlite
    phar
    soap
    xmlreader
    xmlwriter

But since they are pretty much standard, it wouldn't hurt to keep them activated. Maybe some plugin would require this or you like to run another php script on your server.

The only things I would change:
    [ X ] memcached
    [ X ] opcache
    [    ] mysql

I have missed that opcache isn't activated when I first saw the list.
    opcache and memcached will be able to boost your Vanilla experience!
    While opcache will be working without any todos, you have to add the following lines in your config for memcached:

$Configuration['Cache']['Enabled'] = true;
    $Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcached';

The mysql extension is really old and will be deprecated in the future. It is advised to use the PDO driver for database communication (and that's what Vanilla does)

@kopna said:
    And another thing, whether this list is something that is responsible for the plugin.

I do not understand this. What Plugin are you talking about? What is not working like it should?

• Options

@R_J написал:

@kopna said:
    What several extensions in your opinion do not need?

At least those libraries should not be required for Vanilla, as far as I know:
    bcmath
    imap
    mysql
    mysqli
    pdo_sqlite
    phar
    soap
    xmlreader
    xmlwriter

But since they are pretty much standard, it wouldn't hurt to keep them activated. Maybe some plugin would require this or you like to run another php script on your server.

The only things I would change:
    [ X ] memcached
    [ X ] opcache
    [    ] mysql

I have missed that opcache isn't activated when I first saw the list.
    opcache and memcached will be able to boost your Vanilla experience!
    While opcache will be working without any todos, you have to add the following lines in your config for memcached:

$Configuration['Cache']['Enabled'] = true;
    $Configuration['Cache']['Method'] = 'memcached';

The mysql extension is really old and will be deprecated in the future. It is advised to use the PDO driver for database communication (and that's what Vanilla does)

Super explanation ;) Thank you.

@kopna said:
    And another thing, whether this list is something that is responsible for the plugin.

I do not understand this. What Plugin are you talking about? What is not working like it should?

I try to find a solution to fix this problem: https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/23213/feedback#latest

• Options

That is a very interesting approach...

Try to find out what the error is and then think about how to fix it. Go to your /index.php and change ini_set('display_errors', 0); to ini_set('display_errors', 1);. You should do so only on a development installation.
    If you have no other way of doing this in a live environment, I would recommend to add a htaccess password for the few minutes that you run your forum with display errors on.

This setting should show you the error message.

Save the error message somewhere (copy the text, make a screenshot, whatever) and instantly revert the entry in index.php.

• Options

R_J

you gave me strong motivation to learn

• Options
    edited June 2016

@R_J написал:
    That is a very interesting approach...

Try to find out what the error is and then think about how to fix it. Go to your /index.php and change ini_set('display_errors', 0); to ini_set('display_errors', 1);. You should do so only on a development installation.
    If you have no other way of doing this in a live environment, I would recommend to add a htaccess password for the few minutes that you run your forum with display errors on.

This setting should show you the error message.

Save the error message somewhere (copy the text, make a screenshot, whatever) and instantly revert the entry in index.php.

Hi, #R_J
    got error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Gdn_Validation::ApplyRules() in /home/.../.../plugins/LatestPostList/class.latestpostlist.plugin.php on line 127

line 127 $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRules(array(
    :(

• Options

Try the most recent version of the plugin. Obviously you have another version than the current version on GitHub: https://github.com/hgtonight/Vanilla-Plugins/blob/master/LatestPostList/class.latestpostlist.plugin.php#L150-L158

Line 127 in the current version is blank.

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited June 2016

@R_J said:
    Try the most recent version of the plugin. Obviously you have another version than the current version on GitHub: https://github.com/hgtonight/Vanilla-Plugins/blob/master/LatestPostList/class.latestpostlist.plugin.php#L150-L158

conflicting information: https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/241613/#Comment_241613

perhaps the older version works. perhaps not. it is unclear which is the proper version to use with the current version of vanilla. the instructions say works with "Tested working on 2.0.18.x and 2.1"

so perhaps nothing works with vanilla 2.2.1 or it is unknown from the instructions which is the correct version to use.

it appears the version on github is older. if version numbers increment upwards.

It looks like version 1.5.3 is on github from your link.

and in the add-ons 1.5.5

it is https://vanillaforums.org/addon/latestpostlist-plugin 1.5.5

Having two versions that are out of synch will always lead to problems. But in this case the most recent version is in the add-ons.

version 1.5.5 contains from line 127

$ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRules(array(
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Pages', 'Validation' => 'Required'),
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Frequency', 'Validation' => array('Required', 'Integer') ),
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Count', 'Validation' => array('Required', 'Integer')),
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Effects', 'Validation' => 'Required') ) );

@kopna - what version number of Latest Post List are you using. 1.5.5?

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

@hgtonight maybe you can say something on this topic.

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited June 2016

@R_J said:
    @hgtonight maybe you can say something on this topic.

R_J Looks like the link you posted is under VanillaPlugins which is out of date or refers to vanilla 2 and hasn't been updated since 2014. Is this vanilla 2.0? or any vanilla 2

it is confusing even for veteran users, isn't it?

Vanilla-Plugins/LatestPostList/
    Latest commit 61a2e02 on Jan 21, 2014 @hgtonight hgtonight Revert "Remove all files and point to new super repository"

what files are removed? they are still there.

https://github.com/hgtonight/Vanilla-Plugins

whereas there are links to other plugins with the same name that are more current.

https://github.com/hgtonight/Vanilla-Addons/tree/master/plugins

it is pretty much undecipherable to me which to use regarding github, except by version number of plugin.

My guess, the largest version number of a plugin should work with vanilla 2.2.1, if there are no clear instructions regarding vanilla version, and the plugin is updated a few months ago.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@River said:
    it is pretty much undecipherable to me which to use regarding github, except by version number of plugin.

My guess, the largest version number of a plugin should work with vanilla 2.2.1, if there are no clear instructions regarding vanilla version, and the plugin is updated a few months ago.

Yeah, sorry about that. I had an authentication issue with github so not all my repos have been pushed.

Looks like the version in the addons repo here should work with 2.2.1. I will get my git repo, which is linked in the description of this addon updated when I get a chance.

Until I get it sorted, this issue is due to changes in the configuration model/validation. Substitute the following instead of the call to ApplyRules:

$ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Plugins.LatestPostList.Pages', 'Required');
    $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Plugins.LatestPostList.Frequency', 'Required');
    $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Plugins.LatestPostList.Frequency', 'Integer');
    $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Plugins.LatestPostList.Count', 'Required');
    $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Plugins.LatestPostList.Count', 'Integer');
    $ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRule('Plugins.LatestPostList.Effects', 'Required');

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@River написал:

version 1.5.5 contains from line 127

$ConfigurationModel->Validation->ApplyRules(array(
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Pages', 'Validation' => 'Required'),
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Frequency', 'Validation' => array('Required', 'Integer') ),
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Count', 'Validation' => array('Required', 'Integer')),
                        array('Name' => 'Plugins.LatestPostList.Effects', 'Validation' => 'Required') ) );

@kopna - what version number of Latest Post List are you using. 1.5.5?

I downloaded the latest version of the plugin: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/latestpostlist-plugin but there is a problem with its use. Yes, version number of Latest Post List 1.5.5

As recommended:

@R_J написал:

I corrected this line of the file and when click "Save" button, everything works. Version number of Latest Post List 1.5.3

Yet... No changes happen. I tried to change the time display a list of up to 20 seconds. Video is 25 seconds https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0C_8Ls0KyM0QU54U2gyME1GOGM/view?usp=sharing
    Maybe the problem in the browser or in server.

Thank you for your support ;)

• Options

@kopna said:
    No changes happen. I tried to change the time display a list of up to 20 seconds. Video is 25 seconds https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0C_8Ls0KyM0QU54U2gyME1GOGM/view?usp=sharing

Did you update the discussion list in that 20 seconds? If there is no change, the js doesn't update the panel contents.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight написал:

@kopna said:
    No changes happen. I tried to change the time display a list of up to 20 seconds. Video is 25 seconds https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0C_8Ls0KyM0QU54U2gyME1GOGM/view?usp=sharing

Did you update the discussion list in that 20 seconds? If there is no change, the js doesn't update the panel contents.

I did it as an experiment. Established a different time display. The result was always one - no effect.

• Options
    edited June 2016

@kopna Please try 1.6 here: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/latestpostlist-plugin-1.6

Be sure to run /utility/structure or disable/enable the plugin after copying the new files over.

Search first