Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Member can't see discussions any more

Cheers,
I am currently building up a vanilla forum. Most of the time I am logged in as admin / moderator. After a while I am checking the progress by logging in as member. Now, for the second time, my member account is not able to see any discussions. When I am visiting my forum as guest, moderator or admin I can see all the discussion. As a member I am told, that there are no discussion.

Does anybody have an idea what's the matter with this? I can't figure out the reason for this but I don't want to take the risk to have such an issue if the forum is going live.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@cko12

Welcome to the community.

Please check the permissions for the role Member via the Dashboard.

Is the default category option 'view' checked?

• Options
    cko12cko12 New
    edited June 2016

yes, 'view' is checked for every option. even if i check everything the user is not able to see a discussion.

and: even if i set '1' in every column in the database the user still doesn't see anything.
    creating a new role based on member has the same effect.
    but setting the user as admin or moderator solves the issue. so it does not seem to be a permission issue but some kind of classification issue. how can this happen?
    i still could not find something like: discussions are only visible for admins and moderators.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited June 2016

Can you confirm the category (categories) doesn't have custom permissions?

It certainly appears to be a permissions issue. Possibly your permissions table is corrupt?

Personally, I'd do the following:

make a clean install of Vanilla

check that members have the correct permissions and can see a discussion

export the permissions table from the new DB

empty the permissions table in your old DB and import the new one

• Options

heyho,
    so i kind of figured out...something.

1) i went through every category, checked the custom permission checkbox, did not change anything, and saved it. now all the categories were visible again.

2) since i add and delete data all the time a category that i do not use often got dropped (flagged content). so there was a permission reference to this id which did not exist. i don't know if that was the reason. but if i uncheck this option again the category is gone again.

thank you for your help. i guess saving the permissions table after a complete clean install might be a good idea ;)