Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Clean install of 2.2.1 throws error when trying to edit user group permissions and roles

"Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
Please check back in a little while."

Comments

• Options

I have reproduced this problem on two servers, one linux/nginx and one windows/apache. In both cases they were completely fresh installations of version 2.2.1. Is anyone else having the same issue or is it something specific to my environment?

• Options

Awesome, thank you.

Here's what the log says:

07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden Exception: in /var/www/html/library/database/class.database.php on 42207 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #0 [internal function]: Gdn_ErrorHandler(256, '', '/var/www/html/l...', 422, Array)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #1 /var/www/html/library/database/class.database.php(422): trigger_error('', 256)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #2 /var/www/html/library/database/class.sqldriver.php(1663): Gdn_Database->query('update GDN_Role...', Array, Array)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #3 /var/www/html/library/database/class.sqldriver.php(1618): Gdn_SQLDriver->query('update GDN_Role...', 'update')07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #4 /var/www/html/library/core/class.model.php(313): Gdn_SQLDriver->put('Role', Array, Array, false)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #5 /var/www/html/applications/dashboard/models/class.rolemodel.php(545): Gdn_Model->update(Array, Array)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #6 /var/www/html/library/core/class.form.php(2224): RoleModel->save(Array, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #7 /var/www/html/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.rolecontroller.php(166): Gdn_Form->save()07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #8 [internal function]: RoleController->edit('2')07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #9 /var/www/html/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(329): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum..com Garden #10 /var/www/html/index.php(44): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()07 Sep 2016 - 07:34:52 forum.***.com Garden #11 {main}

• Options

I'm using PHP 5.6, do I need to downgrade?

• Options

vrijvlinder, when you try unchecking the "view" permission for the Guest user group in the admin cp, does it not throw an error? If it does not throw an error, then it is definitely an issue with my particular installation/environment rather than Vanilla itself. (Although it would be nice if Vanilla could inform me what is going wrong)

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2016
  • Options

Yes, folder permissions are correct. Does the functionality I'm referencing work on your instance of Vanilla?

• Options

Let me clarify that everything else on my forum is working just fine. Users can post new discussions and replies, etc.

• Options
    fcheslackfcheslack New
    edited September 2016

I can't really tell from the error trace (is there not a better error message?), but I've had the same problem because of my database being in strict mode. https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/3507

• Options

probably as fcheslack says.

@taehwanjo said:

I'm using PHP 5.6, do I need to downgrade?

No need 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 work perfectly fine.

people run into problems in new installs and when upgrading php for a few reasons (missing modules mbstring or rewriting not enabled)

• incompatible sql mode

even though the intent was to have vanilla 2.2.1 work with strict mode there are still some issues with the core and with various plugins.

probably due to strict mode. you need to disable strict mode in your sql.ini

remove this STRICT_TRANS_TABLES

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/31199/error-after-editing-roles

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

fcheslack and River, thank you for your help. I turned off strict mode and that did the trick.