Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Lost italics [RESOLVED]

SuzySuzy New
edited September 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I must have messed something up because all of a sudden I've noticed that the italics doesn't work in the WYSIWYG editor (advanced editor). See the edit note

Could anyone please tell me how I might explore and maybe fix it? Not a lot to go on, I'm sorry. I don't recall changing anything that could have affected it. However the forum is new and I've been adding bits and pieces, so it's hard to know.

EDIT: If I look at the source code, italics works. However it doesn't show up in Chrome when the post is published. I just checked using Firefox and it does show up there. So it must just be the browser.

Comments

• Options
    SuzySuzy New
    edited September 2016

Well, italics is showing up in Explorer and Firefox. Weird that it doesn't show up in Chrome. (It's working here, but not on my site. Very strange.)

• Options
    SuzySuzy New
    edited September 2016

Solved: Google balked at "oblique". The style.css had the code:

.Message em,
        .Message i {
            font-style: oblique;
        }

I solved it by adding to the custom.css the following:
    .Message em,
    .Message i {
    font-style: italic;
    }

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited September 2016

https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/f/font-style/

i wonder if it is your font-type in your theme and the ability of the browser to mimic.

explanation of an analogous situation.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1nifqu/chrome_insists_on_being_in_italics_for_all/

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options
    ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2016

The oblique font style is a slightly more skewed version of italic. It's probably not showing up as it should because the font face you're using doesn't support it.

I did notice that Vanilla's default CSS doesn't give italic elements its font style after the reset stylesheet, so I usually add this rule to my themes:

em {
        font-style: italic;
    }

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

Yeah, the font face I'm using doesn't have either italics or oblique. Using italics does work, but not oblique. (I tried fonts that did have a heap of versions, including italics - but most don't have an explicit oblique style, so that would be why they didn't work either.)