Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can I hide content from unregistered users?

uscore713uscore713 Nashua, New Hampshire New
edited September 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I am evaluating VanillaForums for a members-only site, one that has a lot of categories. The simple idea is that one must be a registered user (Member, or higher role) to see (ideally) any content of any substance, most notably Categories, Discussions and Comments.

From my newbie perspective, what I need at the very least is the ability to disable all permissions dealing with Discussions and Comments when a new Category is created, as they apply to Guests, Applicants and Unconfirmed users.

I have spent hours going through the forum here, but the closest topic matter dealing with this kind of thing is:

When I Create a new Category w/ custom permission, I want all users to have no View/Add, by default.

I experimented with the solution outlined in that topic (yikes), but did not achieve the desired goal.

I must say that a perfectly acceptable solution would be to display an entirely different page for non-Members, one that displays some simple, relatively static content along with a "Sign in or Register" mechanism. I couldn't find anything along that line, either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Best Answers

Answers

• uscore713uscore713 Nashua, New Hampshire New

Sorry, I neglected to mention that I am using 2.2.1.

@Shadowdare said:
    There is a plugin called "Private Community" that comes with Vanilla 2.2. It disallows access to all pages for guests, only shows them the sign in page, and allows them to register for an account using any registration method you choose.

Thanks! This appears to do the trick, at least at first-look. It achieves my secondary goal of redirection to a non-content page having only the sign-in/up option.

I can only hope that a potential security hole isn't found that results in non-members seeing Discussions and Comments. I was rather hoping to find a way to simply configure the default permissions for Categories to preclude non-member access, but this will have to do for now.

Again, thanks.

Yes, it appeared the plugin took care of that. Thanks for pointing it out, though.