Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Profile photo says "File failed to upload"....but it DID upload

snootysnooty Florida
edited October 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Well, this is interesting. I was doing a test upload of a "test members" profile photo (photo is OK to use, got it from Pixabay) and I get the below warning. However, the photo DID stick, it worked fine. Had the same problem with my (admin) photo too saying it didn't upload when it did. Any thoughts? I did a browse for it on my computer (did not test dragging it) and its a JPG photo, 150 x 150 pixels.

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Melania Trump in 10 years... all Trumped up...

You failed to say what uploading plugin you are using ... this sort of thing can be a transient thing, or cause by bad permissions and or settings, or by server time outs which produce their own error warnings that trigger other error warnings in software.

The proper way to trouble shoot, use all default settings for themes and plugins. Disable any plugins that do not come with Vanilla.

• snootysnooty Florida

Well, I have several plugins activated, but only the ones that came with the core.

• @snooty said:
    Well, I have several plugins activated, but only the ones that came with the core.

Same, I having been having the same problem time to time when uploading a picture.

• snootysnooty Florida

I think I found the reason for this. It is NOT the fault of Vanilla, it is "operator error". Once you see the photo in the profile, do not click on "Upload". It's already uploaded.... Let me know if that makes sense folks.

• snootysnooty Florida

Maybe have the red warning bar say "The file is already uploaded", instead of "The file failed to upload"?

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited October 2016

@snooty said:
    Maybe have the red warning bar say "The file is already uploaded", instead of "The file failed to upload"?

you can change the wording to whatever you like via definitions.

$Definition['The file failed to upload.'] = 'The file failed to upload or it could be operator error and you uploaded it once already - why do you want to upload it twice';

Unfortunately the error message for the Profile Picture upload is probably the same error message in editor.js for editor uploaded pictures, so both would be changed, if you provide a new definition.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/218972/#Comment_218972

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• snootysnooty Florida
    edited November 2016

Oh no...I really dont want to mess with core files. I wonder if this could be addressed in the next version of Vanilla? That would be nice, to have it say "This image is uploaded already" instead of "The file failed to upload". Seems to me that would explain to the user what is happening with the image. Just a thought.

• TwissellTwissell New
    edited December 2016

@snooty said:
    Well, this is interesting. I was doing a test upload of a "test members" profile photo (photo is OK to use, got it from Pixabay) and I get the below warning. However, the photo DID stick, it worked fine. Had the same problem with my (admin) photo too saying it didn't upload when it did. Any thoughts? I did a browse for it on my computer (did not test dragging it) and its a JPG photo, 150 x 150 pixels.

Hi everybody!
    I set 0700 permission for the uploads directory and this error disappeared.
    I guess it is nice workaround for the first time anyway. =)