Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embedding Vanilla into Wordpress without an iframe?

SwennetSwennet New
edited November 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

After a lot of searching, I found Vanilla, which seems to be a great community forum for my WordPress site. Especialling considering it's native WordPress embedding function. Now, after trying this function, I realised it was merely an iframe embedded into the page...

I'm really not a fan of iframes, and I would like to embed it directly into my WordPress site.

Has anyone done this before?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Swennet said:
    After a lot of searching, I found Vanilla, which seems to be a great community forum for my WordPress site. Especialling considering it's native WordPress embedding function. Now, after trying this function, I realised it was merely an iframe embedded into the page...

I'm really not a fan of iframes, and I would like to embed it directly into my WordPress site.

Has anyone done this before?

This question doesn't really make sense as the only way to "embed" a site is to use an iframe. I mean, you could use a JS proxy that loads the pages via AJAX and pastes the content into a specific div. This would be a lot of work, not degrade gracefully, and have all the caveats of iframes.

It would be much cleaner to style the vanilla installation to look like the word press site.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2016

iframes are the ideal way to sandbox and are also SEO friendly these days.

it is not really just an iframe there is scripting behind it.

better than an iframe is to simply theme you forum to fit in with your site. you can't really run two frameworks at the same time, efficiently or safely you will have a tangle of conflicting resources. There are some advanced fragment caching techniques to grab some menu, but other than let each framwork do its thing.

grep is your friend.

• I really want to create a seamless experience with WordPress, but an iframe really breaks that immersion imo.

I'll try loading the WordPress header and footer into a Vanilla template and see what happens, will report back with my findings.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

We strongly recommend theming the forum to look the same as the WordPress site. That's the best experience, and it's really how it's designed to work best. The embed option is really only for folks who do not have the technical ability to theme.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@Swennet said:
    I really want to create a seamless experience with WordPress, but an iframe really breaks that immersion imo.

I'll try loading the WordPress header and footer into a Vanilla template and see what happens, will report back with my findings.

probably the best idea to do as you are doing since iframes create lots of problems regarding javascript and navigation. but you may want to see this and contact the author if you are interested just for informational purposes.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/30477/outbedding-my-forum-in-wp

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Thanks for pointing that thread out to me @River, that solution is almost exactly what I'm looking for. I'll see what I can find out.

• We've had moderate success embedding: http://www.nerdlouisville.org/discussion/

However, I agree, if I had the know-how I'd much prefer to theme the forum to match our Wordpress site.

• I decided to just style Vanilla similar to my WordPress site. Since I'm not used to working with Smarty, it'll probably take some time to figure everything out.

I want to retrieve the current logged in user's username and display it in my default.master.tpl file. Something like a {username} tag. Am I just not looking hard enough or is this not possible?

• SwennetSwennet New
    edited November 2016

Just a few seconds too late to edit... But I found it using the {debug} tag!