Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I need the reddit style plugin. up topic / down topic.

I need the reddit style plugin. up topic / down topic.

Is this possible?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Have you checked out the voting plugin?

https://vanillaforums.org/addon/voting-plugin

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The Vanilla team doesn't use the Voting plugin anymore: https://github.com/vanilla/addons/blob/master/plugins/Voting/class.voting.plugin.php#L14

They have deprecated it in favor of the Reactions plugin, which is for the hosted forum users, only. But there is a great "replacement" available. Since you are quite new to Vanilla you might not have seen it: https://vanillaforums.org/addon/yaga-application

If it suits your needs, feel free to donate your money to the author.

• I tried voting and yaga plugins . But I want is that the topics change upwards and downwards.

The plugin only votes. And I use premium silicon theme. Not compatible for my theme.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@misantropist said:
    I tried voting and yaga plugins . But I want is that the topics change upwards and downwards.

The plugin only votes. And I use premium silicon theme. Not compatible for my theme.

since I don't know what reddit style is and the ere is no screenshot, the best I can offer.....

You could sort the comments via votes, and or change your theme. There is absolutley no reason why you couldn't modify any plugin you want to.

if you want to sort discussion topics by other parameters (votes) - you could do that as well. although depending on how you do it, it could be a hit on performance.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• w

Social media sharing buttons look bad.

What does the button do? (promote button) Why did not the comment go up?

thanks.

• I understand a little Yaga.

How can i change the yaga language.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@misantropist said:
    What does the button do? (promote button) Why did not the comment go up?

Promote, gives points to the person who posted the comment or discussion. Promoting can be delegated to special people like moderators or MVP people who are trustworthy and earned the capability to promote a person/post. A person that has been Promoted by someone , gains points. Like they do if someone likes their post or thinks it's a smart post.
    It does not promote the discussion. It only marks that comment as the most relevant.

How can i change the yaga language.

The same as you would change any language in code. Please look at localization , which means the locale from where your language comes from. In Vanilla, you can change almost every word if it is a t() translatable string. In other words it was programmed to be translatable by way of $Definitions which are easily change and edited by way of your Language Locale file.

Please let us know what your language is, to me it looks like turkish but I could be wrong and it could be polish... the point is that you have a language file called locale and there you can add definitions in your language to replace english , for translatable strings.

Please look for a locale.php file in yaga or look inside the all the yaga files and change all those to what you want. I understand that this is difficult because of the language in english and then the php language... but please try and this should not be so hard.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/26597/tutorial-how-to-change-wording-how-to-change-text-how-to-change-language-how-to-change-locale

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited November 2016

I haven't seen a plugin that provides a way to upvote or downvote discussions and comments and sort the index by what is hot or rising as you can on Reddit. You should give the Voting plugin that was linked to earlier in this discussion a try. Does anyone know if another plugin has been made yet to provide this functionality?

@misantropist said:
    w

Social media sharing buttons look bad.

This is probably due to your theme's styling.

To fix the translation codes (e.g. "Yaga.BestContent") showing up, you have to delete the .ini files from the /cache folder in Vanilla to load new locales from the Yaga application. You could translate the Yaga locale to your language if one doesn't exist already, otherwise you'll just see English.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

edited November 2016

@Shadowdare: I have written down some lines of code and it looks quite promising. It needs styling and testing for permissions, though.

But I have a big concern with it. I use the "Score" column of the Discusion and Comment tables.
    1) That column is "null" by default and if you use "Score" as a sort criteria, "null" isn't sorted as zero.
    2) It is of type float. In order to be the default order column, I want to index it. I do not even now if there is any reason not to use a float for an indexed column, but it feels wrong.

That's why I've restructured the Score column in both tables, which comes with a possible loss of information. Adding a "destructive" plugin seems like I bad idea and so I think I will keep it solely on GitHub. Wait some minutes, I'll upload it soon: https://github.com/R-J/rating

YAGA and Voting both use the Score column. That's why I plan to check for one of those plugins in setup() and stop the setup process if one is found.
    My initial thought was to implement that as a YAGA plugin. Maybe that would have been a better approach...

I've messed it up and changed the repo name, repo is now online.

Oh, and I should say that I have only tested it with Vanilla 2.3RC1 so there might be issues with 2.2 :(

@R_J said:
    That's why I've restructured the Score column in both tables, which comes with a possible loss of information. Adding a "destructive" plugin seems like I bad idea and so I think I will keep it solely on GitHub. Wait some minutes, I'll upload it soon: https://github.com/R-J/rating

Yaga only uses integer values for point rewards, so there should be no conflict there.

The big thing reddit has that is cumbersome with Vanilla's comment model is nested comments. I have written this functionality a few times for different clients but it is not a trivial problem.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

@hgtonight said:

Yaga only uses integer values for point rewards, so there should be no conflict there.

There would be two meanings for the Score then and I guess that's why it would make it useless even trying to use them together: if a reaction changes the Score by 5, users wouldn't be able to tell if this are 5 upvotes.

Have you relied on "null" anywhere? Since null isn't sorted properly, I brutally changed the structure to not allow nulls anymore.

@hgtonight said:
    The big thing reddit has that is cumbersome with Vanilla's comment model is nested comments. I have written this functionality a few times for different clients but it is not a trivial problem.

I never saw any advantages of nested comments and I always find them annoying. If he asks for that, I leave the task happily up for you =)

The question was to get a rating system like reddit, not a reddit clone. If the forum should look and behave like reddit, I think misantropist should consider going for a dedicated solution: http://alternativeto.net/software/reddit/?platform=self-hosted
    The link to Telescope seems to be wrong, I guess the correct one is http://www.telescopeapp.org/
    I've already stumbled upon that before and it looks impressive. But it is a reddit clone, not a forum...

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@Shadowdare said:

To fix the translation codes (e.g. "Yaga.BestContent") showing up, you have to delete the .ini files from the /cache folder in Vanilla to load new locales from the Yaga application. You could translate the Yaga locale to your language if one doesn't exist already, otherwise you'll just see English.

if one doesn't exist already, otherwise you'll just see English.

Sir, I believe you are incorrect, actually YAGA is broken with respect to English. you will not see any translation. you will not see the english translation on a new install of Yaga and a new install of vanilla 2.2 Try it! The plugin locale folder file naming convention does not apply to vanilla 2.2 or 2.3 new installs.

https://vanillaforums.org/get/yaga-application-1.1

with either vanilla version, you will see there is no english translation.

https://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core-2.2.1

or

https://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core-2.3rc1

It would be trivial easy to fix. I've fixed it for free for my clients one minute to change, one minute to increment version, one minute to re-zip and upload.

@misantropist are you using Vanilla 2.1, 2.2, or vanilla 2.2rc1? If not vanilla version 2.1, please specify.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

@R_J said:

Have you relied on "null" anywhere? Since null isn't sorted properly, I brutally changed the structure to not allow nulls anymore.

I don't do any sorting of content on the score. The score is updated via Vanilla's internal methods; I assume they handle the null case.

I do perform some curation based on score in the best of controller. Null is taken care of in this regard.

I never saw any advantages of nested comments and I always find them annoying. If he asks for that, I leave the task happily up for you =)

To be clear, I am not offering to write this. :confounded: It is a lot of pain without much gain.

@River said:
    Sir, I believe you are incorrect, actually YAGA is broken with respect to English. you will not see any translation. you will not see the english translation on a new install of Yaga and a new install of vanilla 2.2 Try it!

I just did. The locale was loaded even without clearing the locale cache files. This is on a local apache 2.4.17, mysql 5.7.9, and php 5.6.16.

It would be trivial easy to fix.

I agree the locale changes should be changed sooner rather than later, but they are only deprecated. A pull request would be welcome.

Search first

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@hgtonight said:

@R_J said:

I don't do any sorting of content on the score. The score is updated via Vanilla's internal methods; I assume they handle the null case.

I do perform some curation based on score in the best of controller. Null is taken care of in this regard.

To be clear, I am not offering to write this. :confounded: It is a lot of pain without much gain.

@River said:
    Sir, I believe you are incorrect, actually YAGA is broken with respect to English. you will not see any translation. you will not see the english translation on a new install of Yaga and a new install of vanilla 2.2 Try it!

I just did. The locale was loaded even without clearing the locale cache files. This is on a local apache 2.4.17, mysql 5.7.9, and php 5.6.16.

It would be trivial easy to fix.

I agree the locale changes should be changed sooner rather than later, but they are only deprecated. A pull request would be welcome.

My opinion, a pull request doesn't help if the addon on the add-on site is a year or two older than the github version. exercise in futility when dealing with trivial changes and add-on abandoned on the add-ons section of forum. look at the pull requests for discussion polls that add-on has numerous pull requests and commits , yet the 2 minutes it would take to re-zip and update that add-ons site can not be found. The add-on section should not be abandoned if people have made the attempt to fix your plugin and you leave it linger on github. Respect comes from both directions,

It is not a question of deprecation, YAGA is broken in the manner I described. as I said try it and you will see it is BROKEN.

install NEW. https://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core-2.2.1

install yaga - https://vanillaforums.org/get/yaga-application-1.1

there will be NO english translations. and the fix is 3 minutes developer time vs. hours or new user time and grief per user and questions by stumped users and responses by non-developers.

3 minutes or Hours and days of community time.

its just trivial math. less time than it would be to continue to respond. everyone manages their time in their own way and makes their own decisions. Some good decisions, some not.

Bottom line - translation is broken in English as it exists now.

edited November 2016

@River said:
    It is not a question of deprecation, YAGA is broken in the manner I described. as I said try it and you will see it is BROKEN.

install NEW. https://vanillaforums.org/get/vanilla-core-2.2.1

install yaga - https://vanillaforums.org/get/yaga-application-1.1

@hgtonight said:

@River said:

I literally just tried it, again, with fresh downloads on a fresh vm. I still don't see this issue on apache 2.4.17, mysql 5.7.9, and php 5.6.16.

Search first

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

@hgtonight said:

@River said:

I literally just tried it, again, with fresh downloads on a fresh vm. I still don't see this issue on apache 2.4.17, mysql 5.7.9, and php 5.6.16.

My apologies to you and Shadowdare. I was wrong with regards to translations. I just tried to reproduce error several times and The english translations are NOT broken in Yaga. Just deprecated as you say. Not sure why I had to change before, perhaps it was a memcache deal.

• @River, yeah, it could be that the PHP OPcache and Memcached caches have to be flushed as well if locales are cached in those.

In my experience with Vanilla 2.1 and 2.2 with Yaga, if the translations didn't show up after enabling Yaga, just clearing the .ini cache files worked.

@R_J said:
    @Shadowdare: I have written down some lines of code and it looks quite promising. It needs styling and testing for permissions, though.

@R_J, I'm looking forward to the plugin. :)

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

What's interesting about Reddit is that it isn't a simple vote count, velocity also matters. I'm not aware of any systems for Vanilla that replicate it yet. One immediate drawback I foresee is that making such an algorithm open source makes it ripe for immediate abuse once your site is relatively popular. There are a lot of MySQL scaling challenges lurking just below the surface here too.

My plugins sort is trivial: it only sorts by the most (count) upvoted discussion - with discussion in contrast to comments.

I think it would be better to rank them by overall score. A discussion wich is "downvoted" from 10 users, but has 50 comments which are all upvoted is surely more interesting and has more "quality" (how ever you define that) than a discussion with one upvote only and one comment only.

Rating should be done on something that takes more aspects into consideration. Here is an article which talks about a "Wilson score confidence interval" and it even mentions reddit ;)