HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

information management experience open source forum

edited December 2016 in General Banter

Hello all member!

We are developing a forum that will have to meet the Accessibility standards, in short the WCAG2 AA ones. On the vanilla docs we read that the forum is WCAG2 compliant, but looking into our open source installed version, I am kind of doubting that.
Is the extra-added accessibility restricted to the hosted version?
We are using the default theme; By reading the docs I expected that to be accessible. Did I understand wrong?

Anyone else had experience with a WCAG2 accessible forum, and can point us in the right direction?
We do have a lot of experience of building accessible sites from scratch, so we can always add more accessibility ourselves, but we hoped that a lot would already be implemented, considering the docs.

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

As far as I know there is no extra addon for that. I also only know the section of the docs but if you file your concerns as issues on GitHub, I'll be optimistic that they would be addressed.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2016

@thanhvanchi If you find places where we do not follow WCAG2 AA, please file a detailed issue on GitHub (requires account) so we can investigate. Include a link to the standard, what we're currently doing, and how it could improved. We prioritize accessibility issues whenever possible.

If you have in-house developers, I also recommend using Composer to build the latest version from master branch to get our latest accessibility improvements, which are added constantly. If that's a bit too technical, I recommend looking at our cloud solution which is typically a few months ahead of the open source release and saves you far more in developer time than the monthly cost. We currently have clients with WACAG2 requirements and work with them quite a bit, including custom theming to enhance accessibility for particular audiences (such as blind or low-vision) since some enhancements can conflict with other audiences.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@R_J said:
    As far as I know there is no extra addon for that.

Accessibility: Not An Addon™