Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Options
     Quote: SirNot  @Wanderer:
    Yes, and from the looks of it all you do is snobbishly generalize, insult people and try your darnest to tick others off.
    It's not like I'm prancing about showing off my new polo pony, or something else you couldn't possibly aspire to.

I cannot possibly succeed in insulting you, no matter how hard I try, unless you believe there is truth in what I say.

Look at all the attempts thrown at me personally, I don't feel the least bit insulted.

By the way it is very immature and petty to attack a participant in a debate. My comments are general, if you choose to place yourself in the category I'm criticizing then take offense, how's that my doing?

And life's dull without humour don't you think? I think it's hilarious how personal you guys take this discussion, you (that's general you not specifically you) are being blind to the issues, missing the points entirely.
  • Options
    you make me chuckle, you funny old man
  • Options
    I have read all your comments. Not one of them was in a humorous fashion. I have addressed the issues with facts. You've ignored them and not replied to those posts.

My perspective is quite open. The banter is puerile. I'm just enjoying the trash you come out with each time.

By the way, your comments may be general but we take it personally because of the way you say them. Maybe you need to address you posting style.
  • Options
    I'm stupid, I've just realised it, trying to have an intelligent, intellectual discussion using the PC/Mac mentality thing as a metaphor for decisions we make in life has completely failed, especially with the linear humour I threw in and the forum members here who are mostly PC in their choice of culture. (And I use the term "choice" loosely.)

Marshall McLuhan (not American, Canadian I think) wrote a book called "The Medium is the Massage" in which he sets up the dilemma between discrimination and popular culture. I read it at an early stage of my life and it made an impact, I sometimes dread reading that book, life would have been so much easier if I'd never seen it. (Easier maybe but not as exciting.)

He points out that (my words not his) drones and lemmings simply take on popular culture, be it good or bad. If everyone else is doing it it must be good, that's how "fashion" happens, sure wear 3" heels and tight jocks because that's popular culture.

Now it takes real guts to discriminate, go to a party in flat heels and be comfortable, wear boxers and hang free even if you have to take some jibes in the locker room.

As someone with Mac as my discriminated choice of platform and (warning: humour attempt) boxers for underwear, I have been at the receiving end from those with a more popular choice. From day one people looked down their noses at me because I couldn't run this .exe or that .exe or I couldn't "break into DOS and fix it".

Even today, yes I work in an industry, (Pre-media) where Macs abound and rule, but my workplace, the office, is full (warning: possible generalizations disguised as humour approaching) middle managers, sales reps and bean counters on PCs.

Every year they try to "upgrade" me to a PC, why? So I can be more compatible with the Microsoft calendering system. Now I use Entourage on my Mac, it works well with the calendaring system but I choose to turn that functionality off. That's me discriminating. Want an appointment to meet with me? Use the phone, come over and see me.

I don't want you taking up the 30 minutes I left free for lunch to meet about some stupid problem you caused yourself. If I want to give up my lunch time I will, and do often, but it's my choice, not yours. My wall has a plaque reading "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine".

They'll try again, to get me on a PC, it's that time of year but I choose to discriminate, not fall into popular culture. Besides, the man in the big office knows I've got my resignation typed out and ready for today's date if they try to strong-arm me. I feel so strongly about my choice (you're surprised right?) that I buy my own hardware and upgrade regularly at my own expense, although it's a great tax write-off.

So, if you're into popular culture, that's fine, that's why it's popular I guess. But I think there comes a time when we should search for the strength to look into discriminating, it's not easy, just look at people's reactions here!

My niece is at an age where she can understand this concept, I didn't have to bring it up, she worked it out all for herself. She is realizing that popular culture is not all it's cracked up to be. Sure she still watches the OC because it's a popular discussion point at school, but you know what she said to me recently? She's 6 months off 14 years of age, she said: "I think your Mac is cool, everything just works and doesn't get in the way exactly when a good idea pops into your head."

And you all wonder why I'm so passionate.

Are you offended? Click here.
  • Options
    Well your first paragraph made me sigh, especially that last sentence but the rest of your post was much better. Thank you. However, at not point have I stated that I look down on your because you use a Mac. In fact, unless I'm very much mistaken nobody has said anything derogatory about you using a Mac. People have only said things about the way you present your views on Macs and their "superiority" to PCs. You must be damn good at your job because it sounds like you're a bugger to work with from what you've typed. Most companies would just tell you to use their preferred equipment or find another job. Nothing you typed in that post was offensive, I do doubt if you fully understand what was offensive in your previous posts but that's another matter. Thank you for typing out your beliefs fully.
  • Options
    ::You must be damn good at your job because it sounds like you're a bugger to work with

Hit the nail on the head there mate, but when you produce results and happy customers they smile, grit their teeth then go bang their heads in the privacy of their closed little PC office.

::I do doubt if you fully understand what was offensive in your previous posts but that's another matter.

Oh I do fully understand what was offensive, what I don't understand is why. And it's not "another matter", it's the crux of the issue. Because I choose to stuff popular culture, I'm a snob. Because I encourage people to look for quality and discriminate, I'm offensive.

I do understand though that my humour is not understood, if I was talking to 12-year-olds I'd be a little more restrained and diplomatic but geeze people, you're grown adults.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. I've travelled to the US and found Americans a little humourless. Many a time my wife and I would strike up a conversation in a queue or in a lift and we say something that would get a laugh back home, instead we get a blank look.

Like at the Empire State building, we did the tourist thing and bought a ticket to the top, I jokingly asked "Is this a return ticket?" with a smile on my face (and Yankees cap on my head) but the girl just looked at me with her mouth open. My wife dragged me away before I could say more.

I've been to England too, but the Pommies are another story.
  • Options
    "Yup, obviously your PSP is telling OS X it's a camera? And if this is what we call a major OS X problem we're not doing too badly are we? Clutching at straws people, keep clutching." How is it obviously the PSP; and if it is why does it only tell one of my Macs that it's a camera? According to you, it's things like this that I shouldn't have to deal with, right?
  • Options
     Quote: c-unit  How is it obviously the PSP; and if it is why does it only tell one of my Macs that it's a camera? According to you, it's things like this that I shouldn't have to deal with, right?
    Yup, right, and if the PSP was an Apple product you'd be spot-on, I'd be wrong and all would be well in your little world.

The probable cause, and I could be wrong here but I doubt it, is that the PSP is not written to standards, probably written to talk to proprietary Windows code (oh no, that's never been the case).

The Mac, rather than throwing up umpteen cryptic error messages that wouldn't make sense (although that's probably what PC people would expect) takes the rather harmless guess and treats it like a device containing pictures. Is it?

What are you connecting it to your Mac for anyway? My nephew connects his PSP to my Mac via wireless to get system maintenance updates because he can't get it to work with his dad's PC. (This is a minor issue compared to yours of course.)

However you have probably found a major bug that will hold up the next Mac OS (Leopard) for a year or two so please don't report it to Apple. I hope Steve Jobs doesn't hear about it, is he a member here? Damn, where is that delete function when you need it.
  • Options
    We're back to square one again.
  • Options
    Obviously then, we never left square one giginger.
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited November 2006
    This thread is like crack, really fucking bad for you, but addictive nonetheless :)
  • Options
    You're right Wanderer, the same old bullshit keeps appearing as a comment from you. As I've said before, quite possibly more than once, I couldn't give a flying cunt hair what OS you use. What I do care about is your sweeping generalisations and complete, hypocritical, lack of respect for anybody who chooses to work differently from you. I choose to work with Windows because it works best for me. It makes sense for me. I just do things in it. Yeah, it's got a few problems but then so has OSX. You get the same same usage market for OSX and it'll suddenly look a whole less rosy than it does now. There'll be security alerts on par with the current microsoft ones. Viruses will rise up to the same level.
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    I hate Macs and the people who like them. I'ts been proven a long time ago that dumb students buy Macs.

Mac/PC Evangelism is for flock-lovers, just like any other religion.

(there ya have it... that should keep Wanderer busy for another 5 hours, using this thread as a regular honeypot for Mac/PC Zealots and their religious brethren)
  • Options
    ...and after those mature, wonderfully crafted, perceptive, sagacious and insightful comments I again sit back sipping my coffee thinking, why do I bother...
  • Options
    you really should not... stop educating the unwashed (m)asses oh wise sage ;-)
  • Options
    I really: should not stop educating...
    I really: should not bother...

Which one?
  • Options
    ...bother, yea messiah
  • Options
    I think we need an extension to force people to state their age.

For all I know I could be conversing with a bunch of 15 year-olds with one hand on the keyboard and the other on their PSP (or worse, eek).

Apologies to 15-year-olds.

(Thanks to the private message from -name withheld- who suggested this might be the case)
  • Options
    I'm 18 and I think most people on here know that. I know i'm still a kid and have a lot of years ahead of me to wise up but I like to (and dislike to sometimes) think i'm pretty mature for my age. I think most the people on here are older than me though...
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    This thread is really like beating a long-dead horse, it's going absolutely nowhere and just getting worse...

However, I'd just like to clear one thing up:
    I cannot possibly succeed in insulting you, no matter how hard I try, unless you believe there is truth in what I say.
    My comments are general, if you choose to place yourself in the category I'm criticizing then take offense, how's that my doing?
    The thing is, whether or not they held truth, and whether or not you were directly insulting me, by labelling everyone who uses a PC a 'zombie', 'mindless drone', or whatever, you're insulting people who did actually make an informed choice (eg. me). I'm not trying to say that PCs are superior, nor Macs inferior, I just was miffed that you kept generalizing PC users. (You're right, your comments were general, but I think they were often a little too general.)
This discussion has been closed.