Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Options
    Yes Mini, but I would obviously rather click the address bar, then hold down shift and press the down arrow rather than just clicking it once. Jeez I hate my PC.
  • Options
    I thought Zed brought up some very good points. I'd certainly be pretty pissed if I had a bad apple. Luckily it's never happened to me. Funny that he still has so much respect for OS X, after all he went through. BTW, as far as the "war" is going, PCs are clearly winning in the overall popularity contest — market share and all. But, here's a mostly unscientific look at the popularity contest — based on Google searches in 2006: http://www.google.com/trends?q=Mac%2C+PC&date=2006 It's interesting how while there are clearly more searches for PC than Mac in the world, there are twice as many searches for Mac than PC in San Francisco/Silicon Valley/LA. In fact the only major city on the list that isn't mostly searching for Mac is Zurich, which comes is decidedly neutral (go figure).
  • Options
    Then again, wouldnt people be searching for pc to work out the problems theyre having?
  • Options
    So, you're saying that, overall, the world has more problems with PCs than Mac, but in major cities (and silicon valley) it's the opposite. That doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't get too attached to the data. It doesn't get any more unscientific than that. I just thought the breakdown by cities was interesting.
  • Options
    I just meant generally. Though perhaps those major cities have mac users with problems who search for stuff.
    I dunno, I'm bored at work and passing the time. Let me get on with it :D
  • Options
    Don't forget this search - http://www.google.com/trends?q=mac%2C+windows&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2006
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    Ah, right... because people don't have glass "windows" on their houses, apartments, cars, etc. You might as well search for "plastic" while you're at it. I think this is what you were looking for: http://www.google.com/trends?q=os+x%2C+windows+xp&date=2006 (What's up with Austin, TX?)
  • Options
    Well done on posting a link that's actually even more in favour of Windows XP. :-)
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    I know. That was gratuitous. But, this one's for you blizeH: http://www.google.com/trends?q=windows+xp+problem%2C+os+X+problem&date=2006 That pretty much sums it up.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Just to show that glass windows probably don't have that great an effect on results - http://www.google.com/trends?q=mac%2C+windows%2C+doors&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2006 This is pretty pointless, eh?
  • Options
    I've heard that the CIA have been using http://www.google.com/trends?q=osama+bin+laden&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2006 to try and track down where al-Qaeda members are living.
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited November 2006
    http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22windows+XP%22%2C+%22mac+OSX%22&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2006

Google trends (combining many citation sources, not just searches, incl. news and blogs)
    is useless in this debate... (no Y scale, secret algorithm, etc. etc.)

As per link above, a better comparison (due to quotes glass windows are pretty much excluded)
    shows Mac OSX gets little or no mention in searches or news. So what do we conclude now...
    Are issues with Mac OSX MORE prevalent in relation to the overall citation rate? :-D

(PS I really don't care about Mac vs PC, I own both, but fake 'proof' needs to be dismissed)
  • Options
    I have conclusive proof of nothing too!

Genitals vs XP

and

Genitals vs OSX

As you can clearly see from the pictures there's a direct lack of correlation between either of these graphs.

The flat line from genitals with the XP graph would suggest that XP users are less concerned about their genitals than those on Mac. Is this because most XP users are geeks or is it that their genitals are in fact more sufficient and causes them less worry? In THIS graph you can clearly see that OSX and genitals are closely linked. Conspiracy by google? Are google just Mac haters? Lets find out!

I have no idea what this shows but I have a feeling that it means google don't hate macs.

THE HUMANITY!

This graph shows that the terms "Wanderer" and "Bullshit" do regularly cross paths.

I think we have all the proof we need based on those totally worthless graphs.
  • Options
    Someone should sink this.
  • Options
    Forget all those other comparisions, this is the one that really counts: http://www.google.com/trends?q=blue%2C+red%2C+orange%2C+green%2C+purple&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2006 No relation to the iMac colors. http://www.google.com/trends?q=Blueberry%2C+Strawberry%2C+Tangerine%2C+Lime%2C++Grape
  • Options
    We can't sink it now Krak, it's finally fun! There's real humour instead of the phrase "I was making a joke" being used as a getout clause.
  • Options
     Quote: giginger  Any chance of an actual reply to one of my posts?
    Maybe when you say something (without gratuitous expletives)?

I'm back, had a great weekend away, did you all miss me?
    I see some of the mindless followers have busy trying to defend their great lemming god and putting down the devil with Google trend graphs, how desperate.
    I wonder, do they light candles, eat raw goat livers, burn incense and hold hands droning chants too?
  • Options
    gigingergiginger New
    edited November 2006
    OK "You're right Wanderer, the same old rubbish keeps appearing as a comment from you. As I've said before, quite possibly more than once, I couldn't give a flip what OS you use. What I do care about is your sweeping generalisations and complete, hypocritical, lack of respect for anybody who chooses to work differently from you. I choose to work with Windows because it works best for me. It makes sense for me. I just do things in it. Yeah, it's got a few problems but then so has OSX. You get the same same usage market for OSX and it'll suddenly look a whole less rosy than it does now. There'll be security alerts on par with the current microsoft ones. Viruses will rise up to the same level." That better? As for the google trend graphs. You're the one decrying a lack of people understanding a sense of humour and then you go and miss the point there...... EDIT: I just read back through this thread to see if I'd gone over the top in any way. I don't believe I have. What I have read however is a very sad tale of somebody who does one thing and then calls someone immature for doing the same. I'm done, I can't be bothered to type any more on this subject unless I see something resembling an intelligent reply from Wanderer. To other Mac users. I'm sorry you're being represented by someone such as Wanderer. I know he's in the minority but damn, there's still a lot of them about the internet. It's actually quite depressing. I might possibly get a Mac someday, I don't know. If Apple sort their prices, quality assurance and business practices out then I might well do. For now though, I can't afford to get a machine just because it looks pretty and the OS looks pretty. That's just ridiculous. I haven't seen anything to convince me that a Mac is the better choice of computing platform. I've seen more to support the PC to be honest. The Mac may well be an awesome spectacle and I'm missing out on a lot, but right now I'm just not convinced. I wish some other Mac users had joined in this thread and given some proper comments instead of the tripe from Wanderer. Tootle pip.
  • Options
    Wanderer does not represent me (neither as PC nor as a Mac user). :D
  • Options
    edited November 2006
     Quote: giginger  We can't sink it now Krak, it's finally fun! There's real humour...
    Oh I see, so it's real humour you want...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number (damn I lost count) in the Series...
    Some PC Mentality Humour Please...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So if you drop a brown Zune in the dunny (that's Aussie slang for toilet) does it sink or float?

And don't forget the "Plays For Sure" music you paid good money for "For Sure Does not Play" on any colour Zune.

Also, don't forget Zune and Vista, er... nope they still no talkie to each other.

But never fear, the next excrement-al release of the Zune (that would be number 2!) should fix things (more likely add insult to injury)!

I hope you think the lemmings being Zuned by their almighty god Microsoft (yet again) is funny, I do. pic

I'd love to take credit for all of these gags, some are from the Inside Mac Podcast (November 19) but I did package them nicely I thought.
This discussion has been closed.