Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

•  Quote: traveljunkie  yeah, i'm coming, mate. don't you worry about me. i've been to oz before and i have quite a few aussie friends. they all have a great sense of humour, which in their case does not translate to talking down to people
    Oh I remember, it was you Boris, I'm over 6 feet tall, are you a short person? (That was humour!)
  • hahaha, you have to work a bit on that. but at least you're trying. i give you that.
  • Wanderer, what you need to understand as someone who is not stupid, is that you can't always type exactly what you would say. As you should know, text is not as expressive as the spoken word, especially in person where you have body language and facial expressions to help convey irony, sarcasm and whit. So it's not so much people not having a sense of humour here, but more a case of you not understanding that you should adjust yours when conversing just in text rather than in person. Besides, due you not think it polite to be, well, polite to people even if you cause them unintended offense? I'm not an overly politically correct person, but I do like to try and get on with other people as I find it makes them listen to me better and not just write me off as a rude arsehole. So I'm not quite sure why you seem to be going out of your way to upset and piss people off, if you find that funny then perhaps it's you who doesn't have the sense of humour you seem to think you do.
  • [-Stash-] I hear what you say mate, but there's nothing wrong with my sense of humour, it serves me well, especially when I have to address 30 people with little notice on a topic I'm not comfortable with. My strategy is to get people on-side with humour so when I stuff up they laugh with me in empathy not at me with disdain.

I don't go out of my way to be rude (that's not to say you don't think I'm rude) or to piss people off (and that's not to say that I don't) but I have learned to be direct and not beat about the bush, which unfortunately translates (especially in writing) to me being blunt. In this particular case, my being aware of this is of no use, it's you guys who have to be aware (as many of you say you are) and give me a fair break.

Another issue is that I no longer have the patience I used to have when I was younger, I don't suffer fools any more, especially those who don't know what they're talking about, who contradict themselves in the same sentence, who think using expletives is somehow funny and makes them right, who don't know both sides of the argument and don't see the humour in a discussion, even though it's at their expense. I don't know if it's a uniquely Aussie thing but we do laugh at ourselves if it's warranted without getting our knickers in too much of a knot.

What I cannot tell you is why I'm so passionate about, or why I am so focussed on what I've called the "PC Mentality" or why I've been such an evangelist of the Mac platform over the years. Maybe because these days I don't need to convince people as much because the facts are there for all to see but the die-hards refuse to look!

I'm over making the point, that's not to say I was wrong or I regret anything I said, just that I think I should let people come to the realisation in their own time in their own way.

I just have to also say though, that some people way over-reacted and it's obvious that frustration had set in because attacking me personally is a sure sign of that. I always say that, at the point in a debate where you think you are absolutely right and there is no question that you are, that's when you should take a deep breath, step back and look with wide open eyes and from the opposite perspective. It's amazing what new views you might see if you ignore your prejudices.

No worries though, it was an enjoyable discourse (for me at least).
  • Blunt is fine. People take offense to pompousness, righteousness, whatever they may see it as (yes, it is how they see it - not you). Unless of course, you share their views. I offend people all the time. Usually I tend to cut my losses, realise that probably didn't go down too well and move on. Also, timing is everything. You don't nail someone for having a certain mentality, then joke with them so they they'll find you more personable. Maybe being diplomatic in the first place would negate the need to cover it up with potentially ill-received humour. Yes, I'm Australian, yes I'm a Mac-user. Yes, this is the longest post I've written in some time. I hate going on about how 'cool, friendly and funny' I am because I'm an Aussie. Patriotism makes me weird in the gut. I'm really an argumentative and outgoing, loud, noisy person in uhh... person. The Internet is a cold, harsh place, fueled by cold, harsh reactions. I like to keep things short online for these reasons. Why ruin a good point with 'word-bloat'? Call it Conversation 2.0. Did I just preach?
  • edited November 2006
    pic

Blunt: uncompromisingly forthright
    Pompous: affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn or self-important
    Righteous: morally right or justifiable, virtuous, fine and genuine
    Patriotism: vigorously supporting own country against detractors

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield.
  • StashStash
    edited November 2006
    "Maybe being diplomatic in the first place would negate the need to cover it up with potentially ill-received humour."
    This is probably the thing that I agree with most.

Wanderer, it seems (with your last response to me) that you have actually taken some of what I and others have said on board, as it was a perfect example of a reasonable post. Most people here won't object to blunt, straight talking, or even the occasional serving of patriotism (no matter how hard to swallow *I* find it), you just have to remember that there's blunt, and there's too blunt (rude) and find a happy medium :)
  • Installing a Printer in Windows: Find Driver Cross Fingures Ctrl+Alt+Delete Unplug Printer Redo In Ubuntu Hit OK 3 times.
  • haha. Printers suck.
  • wack
    neigh

wack

wack
  • LOL =D
  • edited November 2006
     Quote: SirNot  wack neigh
    People (myself included) might be beating the (not so) dead horse mate, but you're feeding it!

Later:
    Oops, I forgot the smilie: pic
  • How, exactly, do you feed a dead horse?
  • Same way a dead horse neighs I guess?
    That's why I said "not so" dead.
  • edited November 2006
    The PC Mentality is alive and well!

This is the funniest podcast I've listened to in quite a while, it tells you all about the mentality that went behind the making/marketing of the Zune. It's not a regularly funny podcast, it's usually quite technical and informative but with a subject like this, it's gotta be hillarious.

So, if you are a PC zealot and embrace the holy Microsoft way, maybe this is heresy and you shouldn't be listening to it. On the other hand, it might open your eyes to how Microsoft views you as a customer.

Seriously, if Apple treated me this way I'd be ditching them and going back to crayons and feather quills.

image The direct link to the .mp3 file.

The Archive:
    MacNotables #687: The MacNotables Roast The Microsoft Zune
  • pic

Posted: Thursday, 25 January 2007 at 8:28AM (AEDT)

• edited January 2007
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • nice..
  • The funniest part about this "PC Mentality" thing is that all Apple computers are PC's too. :: awaits some lame backtracking rubbish ::
This discussion has been closed.