Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

The official I hate PCs discussion

Comments

• Options
    Yeah.. PCs rock! http://engadget.com/2006/11/13/installing-the-zune-sucked/
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    @dan: PC != mp3 player PC != Windows PC != crappy installer therefore: software issues with hooking mp3 player up to windows != fault with PC
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    @dan that was waaaaaaaay off. cause that same PC will work just fine with ipod and itunes. Itunes 7 created lot of problems for people as well. Shit happens when ur launching a new product.
    be reasonable now.

Now this is something u cannot do with a PC laptop

Lilt utilizes the ambient light and sudden motion sensors found on recent Apple Macintosh portable computers to trigger actions such as launching applications, files, or scripts. By launching a script Lilt can do some amazing things. Wave your hand over the light sensors (located under the speaker grills) and play your next iTunes track. Tilt the computer back and hear the time spoken to you. The possibilities are endless.

• Options
    "therefore: software issues with hooking mp3 player up to windows != fault with PC" Granted, but that's one of the things that's supposedly so appealing about Macs, for instance, when you hook up an iPod - it just works.
  • Options
    sounds like i'm the only reasonable mac guy here
    Hmm i have knowledge about macs. it will be very nice if I go to PC side for a while, and bash some of the nuisances of macs
    :) that will be fun.
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, everyone. I didn't realize that Microsoft's stellar software coding, QA testing, and UI has nothing to do with the PC experience. My mistake. PCs are totally awesome.
  • Options
    Wanderer, I get the impression that if Apple decided to include a special puff of Anthrax in every box you'd argue in their favour for it being a great idea. "Microsoft don't include an acute infectious disease with their products. I suppose they might one day include the common cold with their releases but Apple really go the extra mile to ensure you a painful death. I hear that on the next minor quarterly upgrade to add a basic feature , 1gig of extra RAM, you'll have a choice of Ebola or Anthrax or for $200 more you can have both. I can't wait to see what those moronic Cro-Magnon brained PC users make of that!" Get off your high horse before you start to suffer brain damage from lack of oxygen. I don't think I'm the only sitting here reading your spiel in disbelief. You're giving other Mac users a bad name. If I was 3strip or MySchizoBuddy I'd be considering changing from Mac to PC because of you. Man, I really do hope you're the minority of Mac users. Sadly, I don't really think that's the case. I had a look through the MacRumours forum the other week. Jesus wept, that is one sad place. I, personally, think it's disgusting that the average time between MacBook Pro updates is 143 days. That's less than half a year! 39.5 days short if my, admittedly shoddy, maths is correct. That's just plain ridiculous. It's not as if they're major upgrades either. You say Micro$oft without a hint of irony. Well, I can't get a $ sign in but I think I could happily use Appl€ for the UK customers. Oh, seeing as I'm UK. The price difference between UK and US prices is extortionate. Considering, to my knowledge, that the products are assembled in Ireland for crying out loud. Appl€ are fleecing people left right and centre. You can continue to sing their praises Wanderer but I'm just going to sit back and laugh. Especially when/if Appl€ gets a proper market share. I'm thinking of something in double figures. I mean, this 5 year old Microsoft system is at 84.62% I believe. Hell, Windows 2000 is at 5.79% and that's still more than OSX. Looking at the figure I can see that Vista, the unreleased OS from Microsoft has a Market Share of 0.9% already. That's only 4% behind OSX. Wow, that just speaks of OSX quality. Admittedly that's a large percentage but I'm wondering how quickly it'll change once it's released. I mean, us PC users are all zombies who mindlessly install updates to our OS........
  • Options
    NickENickE New
    edited November 2006
    @dan: no, they don't. PC = personal computer, and even, ironically, encompasses macs. In this sense though I believe Krak is refering to IBM-compatible PCs, which were invented before Windows, and have nothing to do with the Windows experience. They're just hardware. So essentially: your post - sarcasm = totally correct

@c-unit: fyi, the vast majority of mp3 players are plug and play, so they don't require the installation of any software. Indeed, in many ways they're actually easier to use than an iPod as you don't need any extra software running, just 'drag-and-drop', as they say, the songs you want onto the player.

@schizobuddy: that may be nice for some people, but what if, say, a cloud blocks the sun temporarily, or you accidently tilt it on your lap. I for one would find it exceedingly annoying for my computer to react based on actions I make outside of it.
  • Options
    Sirnot thats why its configurable, so it won't work by accidentally tilting it.
  • Options
    giginger. osx is relatively new os, compared to windows. its totally different than the old os9.
    Once a company gets a major market share. it becomes next to impossible to overthrown it. no matter how good ur product is. that is true for windows and ipods. just because osx isn't able to topple windows doesn't make it bad product.
    If it means anything then Apple laptops market share is increasing faster than PC laptops. Apple laptops have 12% market share now and rising faster than pcs. give it a couple more years and you will see Apple poised as viable Windows alternative by the masses. Best buy never used to carry macs now 47 stores of best buy will carry macs. same with circuit city and other big stores. Things are changing quite dramatically for apple. that should tell u something.

just keep in mind. toppling a giant is extremely hard to do, and it in no makes the the smaller product bad.

same is true of xbox, which has not turned a dime in profits. competing with Playstation is no joke. yes xbox has gained market share. but it hasn't turned a profit ($3.5B loss since 2003). It has been 5 years since xbox came out. does that make xbox a crappy product. not by a long shot.
  • Options
     Quote: 3stripe  Wanderer, read what Mini said again, maybe a bit more carefully this time, if he could run OS X on a PC he might consider it. That's the other way round to running Windows on OS X. Do you get that?
    Yeah I got it, keep your pants on, take a chill-pill.

Quote: dan39  Sorry, everyone. I didn't realize that Microsoft's stellar software coding, QA testing, and UI has nothing to do with the PC experience. My mistake. PCs are totally awesome.
    I agree dan, you're the man. (tongue in cheek, yeah I get it stripes)

Also awesome is the stellar project by Apple to convert millions of lines of code in the smooth transition from PowerPC to Universal Binary. That does not surprise me, they did it before with the move from 6800 and of course, the move from OS 9 to OS X. None of these are trivial, all were done with as little pain as possible to the consumer. Sort of like 5 years of Longhorn/Vista and still waiting!

Hey is there a prize for the millionth PC to be infected with a Vista virus?

I'll resist the old joke about Windows itself being a virus, it sure spreads like one, Vista will be a super virus, apparently there will be thousands of lemmings lined up at the release.
    And I'm still working on my reply to SirNot, it's a bit hard to read without line numbers and braces. pic
  • Options
    dan39dan39 New
    edited November 2006
    @SirNot: What are you talking about? You're probably the only one on this discussion that thinks this is just about hardware. Give me a break. Everyone here is talking about OS X features and what not, but we can't mention Microsoft when we talk about PCs?! Come on..
  • Options
    Beautiful MySchizoBuddy: Microsoft designs the iPod package (Warning: contains graphic... er... graphics :-)

I saw this a few months back and wet my pants, especially the fold out bit at the end!

This parody brilliantly sums up an aspect of the difference between Mac and PC mentality.

I think I'll extract the soundtrack and use it as the pump track on my iPod! pic
  • Options
    My girls (trainees in my class this week) took me out for breakfast this morning to thank me for day one, which they were dreading because the content (PDF Workflow) is by nature technical and dull, however they said my presentation of it was enjoyable and not "techie and boring" at all, not like the introduction they got from their supervisor back at the office.

I don't know how the topic came up (yes I do, I called their supervisor a PC... um what was it again, moron I think) but Carol gave us her Mac/PC story. I only wish I'd had my voice recorder handy. (Brackets are my embellishments)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    A couple of years back, we had the big Mac/PC argument at home. Mum and dad (Carol still lives at home) wanted to get a computer with email and a webcam to keep in touch with nieces and nephews in England.

Greg, my brother and a total overbearing PC geek had all the (so-called) facts and figures at his fingertips, all I could say was "Macs would be better for us at home" but Greg pulled the wool over mum and dad's eyes and we got an ugly beige tower thing that always sounded like the space shuttle taking off.

Mum and dad accepted it, they knew no better but all the computers I've ever used either at school (university) or my freelance work have always been Macs and they never sounded like that.

Anyway, mum and dad rarely use it these days, mum was always crying because whenever we got a virus (at that was regularly) Greg would track it to one of mum's online sessions, how he did that I don't know but mum stopped using it unless Greg was with her and he's never home.

Dad was writing a book using Word but lost everything (months of work) at least twice as a result of Greg's many "rebuilds" which he said were par for the course when it comes to computers and it was dad's fault because he didn't have a backup.

Dad stopped using it too which is sad because we have a hard copy of a couple of chapters, his life story actually and it is great, shame he's lost interest.

Now that I'm working a full-time job, I'm going to buy us a Mac for Christmas and throw out the (miserable ugly excuse for a) PC.

It will be hard getting mum back online but wait 'till see sees iChat and that beautiful big screen.

(I threw in: tell her there are NO viruses to worry about)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

People, this is what the rest of the world out there experiences using PCs.
    I hope Carol does not have to battle Greg again, but something tells me this time she's going to put up a better fight, I have some ammunition to help her out, might even be able to lay my hands on a superceded G5 she could use for a month or so!
  • Options
    wanderer, all those little stories are so lovely and you've got so many of them. now i know better!! i will save my money for a couple months, get a mac and then i know that the world will be a better place. one more of US and one less of THEM. there is a war out there, wanderer, i realize that now, and you're out there fighting for all of us. warms my heart when i think of it. makes me feel save when i snuggle up in bed at night. no more nightmares. thank you!!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
     Quote: traveljunkie  all those little stories are so lovely and you've got so many of them.
    You be as flippant as you like junkie boy, these are real people learning the hard way.

Another one for you, my wife caught a virus on her work laptop last week, it took IT 4 days to "fix it" and when she got it back they hadn't installed the application she uses to get pics off her digital camera so she sent the laptop back with a copy of the CD.

I don't believe this either but they installed an older version QuickTime and a whole bunch of other stuff off the CD, everything BUT the application she needed. Typical PC wizard-like drones with no initiative.

Of course, in case you didn't know, OS X doesn't even need a special app or driver to access digital cameras, simply plug it in and watch it (depending on your wishes) either mount on the desktop like any other device or fire up a simple "Download / Delete" interface with thumbnails of the pics! Sheer understated elegance and functional simplicity. (And before anyone tells me Windows does this too, maybe, but not by default, not built-in to the system, not as standard expected behaviour.)

Yes there is a war out there, always has been, always will be, it's the fight against ignorance and big business (and the pig-headed lemmings who follow them) who use their market share to keep the masses uninformed and penned up like sheep and cattle ready for the slaughter.

Reminder: This thread, sorry discussion, is not about PC hardware or Windows software per se, it's about the mentality and approach to the functionality and experience for the person-in-the-street wanting to use the tool, not so much the hard-core geek who relishes the challenge of learning how to do a triple-backwards somersault with a half-twist just to print a happy snap!

Printing, did someone say printing? Sheesh don't get me started on that topic.

*flippant: frivolous, facetious, disrespectful, irreverent, impudent, impertinent, waggish
    *According to OS X built-in dictionary/thesaurus
  • Options
    KrakKrak New
    edited November 2006
    (And before anyone tells me Windows does this too, maybe, but not by default, not built-in to the system, not as standard expected behaviour.)

Uh yeah. Windows XP Professional SP2, no modifications made, plug in my camera and it asks me what I want to do. Or, I can browse the camera, view thumbnails and pull off pics.
  • Options
    Speaking of digital cameras and OS X, for some reason my PowerBook now thinks my PSP is a camera and opens iPhoto every time I plug it in. It never used to do that, kind of annoying.
  • Options
    c-unit...
    fire up Applications/Image Capture
    Use Image Capture menu -> Preferences
    Tell it to open no application.
  • Options
    Hey Krak, so they finally caught up with SP2?

Three cheers for Microsoft.

Service Packs, now there's another thing PC lemmings accept as par for the course. Buy a second rate OS then spend your life playing Service Pack-Russian Roulette. WIll it fix my problems? Will it make them worse? Will it introduce new problems? Who cares, we'll just wait for the next one and play the game all over again.

I was at a client's site a while back, he said his email was not available because he installed Service Pack xx and now it tells him he needs something else which he can't use because Service Pack xxx has made it redundant.

That's the best thing about Microsoft error messages, they are pretty good, then again they get lots of practice.

My personal favourite Windows error message: "No keyboard found, press F1 to continue."
This discussion has been closed.