Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Comment post minimizer

edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Is there an extension that would minimize comments/posts that have already been seen? It would be useful for long discussions.

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Not that I know of, but it sounds like a neat idea...
  • Options
    Sounds like it would use the same method of hiding text in a post. There is a discussion around here somewhere requesting that one. Although I think this one would be easier to accomplish.
  • Options
    Would love to see something like wibbler requested. Edited comments should show up again.
  • Options
    Bump

I'd like to repeat my request for a "view" that hides all discussions where no new comments
    have been posted (so I can digg through all new discussions from the first page on down).
  • Options
    Would like that, too. Maybe it could be combined.
  • Options
    Bump

Anyone interested in developing this? I thought of some things:
    1. standard: hide all seen comments except the last one
    2. show how many comments are hidden
    3. make edited (edited after seen) comments visible again
    4. button to make the last but one visible
    5. button to make all comments of one discussion visible
    6. option for the member to use this extension or not to use it
    7. option (for administrator) to hide all discussions without unseen comments
  • Options
    I like this idea... so it appears like gmail does?
  • Options
    "I like this idea... so it appears like gmail does?"
    that would be sweet
  • Options
    Would it "remember" which state each user left each comment?
    Sounds like a lot for the database to keep track of to me.

Posted: Thursday, 8 February 2007 at 12:46PM (AEDT)

• Options
    "Would it "remember" which state each user left each comment?
    Sounds like a lot for the database to keep track of to me."

It would be useful if it didn't, so thats a real good point. You only have then when you aren't talking about MAC vs. PC.

LOL j.k.
  • Options
    Quote: y2kbg
    picIt would be useful if it didn't, so thats a real good point. You only have then when you aren't talking about MAC vs. PC.pic
    Say again? That makes no sense.

Posted: Thursday, 8 February 2007 at 7:36PM (AEDT)

• Options
    It wouldn't need to remember, Vanilla already stores a bit of info about every discussion that the user has visited, and which comments are unread. Just collapse what the user already saw.

Should be as simple as an alternate style, then a javascript to transition between them.
  • Options
    StashStash
    edited February 2007
    If it could be made multi-theme/style that would be great. I suppose the simplest way to do this would be to set display:none on <div id="CommentBody_xxxxx" class="CommentBody">. That way you can still see who posted and when, just not what they've written.
  • Options
    Wallphone: ...so it appears like gmail does?
    Haven't thought about it like that, but that sounds good. I guess you don't got some time left, do you? :)
  • Options
    you could use jquery to hide everything with a class of read as opposed to unread.
  • Options
    StashStash
    edited February 2007
    God plan Adrian, there might even be a pre made plugin in Interface to do exactly what we're talking about. I don't have time to look right now, but maybe someone else does? http://interface.eyecon.ro/
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I got enough time for a mock-up :-)

I know the whole thing could be implemented in Javascript, a bit of CSS, and a couple lines of PHP to add a "seen" class to the comments that have been seen... I imagine it working much like the accordion demo in the page Stash posted.

I will do the PHP and/or CSS if anyone wants to do the javascript
  • Options
    is there any way this could be combined with the much-requested 'ignore user' plugin? so you could choose to automatically collapse all messages by a certain user (and maybe disable the preview for them as well).
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    circuit: Great idea.

here is some sample CSS, it uses the alternate class already in place so you can just paste it into your firefox web developer toolbar and see some magic :-)
    li.Alternate { height: 3em!important; overflow: hidden; } li.Alternate .CommentBody { display: inline; color: #777!Important; float: left; padding-top: 0; position: relative; top: -3px; height: 1.5em!important; overflow: hidden; width: 60%!important; } li.Alternate .CommentBody br, li.Alternate .CommentHeader span, li.Alternate .CommentBody img, li.Alternate .CommentBody blockquote { display: none; }
  • Options
    TexTex
    edited February 2007
    Wallphone: ...firefox web developer toolbar...
    Great extension! Thanks for the hint. :)

...see some magic...
    Yes. This hides some comments. And it looks great. Now I want this extension idea to be realised even more!
This discussion has been closed.