Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Travelling...

edited December 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
So i'm thinking about going travelling for a while. I'd love to see New Zealand and places like Las Vegas, New York, parts of Canada, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Fiji, etc. Couple of questions:
Have any of you guys done tours/etc, if so who with (UK companies ideally), where did you go, would you recommend it, what did you do/enjoy/not enjoy etc...
Are there any places you think I should aim to visit? Obviously money/time/company are major limiting factors but I really need to put some decent thought into this before it's too late...

Comments

• Go for it Mini!

I've only ever 'toured' Europe and that was using an InterRail ticket. Brilliant cos you can jump on pretty much any train you like within your chosen regions and aren't tied to any schedules. I've done it a couple of times, once with a mate after finishing school, around France/Spain, and the other time on my own - Italy, Greece, Czech Republic, Germany, Amsterdam.

What about getting a round-the-world air ticket? Or are you looking for some kind of tour so that you have some company?

You could easily stop off in America, Japan, New Zealand etc on a round-the-world ticket. Out of the places you mention there, I've been to New York and Hong Kong which are both pretty incredible cities. Canada is near the top of my list for places to visit also.

In terms of tours, I did once look into STA Travel's packages, they looked decent enough and wouldn't be full of old fogies ;-)
  • When i say 'company' i mean convincing some of my friends to come with me (which also involves convincing them to stop spending money on alcohol for a while and save up - a very difficult job). Although i dont doubt it would be a good thing for me to do, I'm not confident enough as a person to go to the other side of the world on my own on the basis that i'd meet new friends there. I also get homesick kinda quick if i'm not around people I know and if i'm gonna do this I dont want to ruin it!

That rail ticket does look very interesting though...£285 for complete travel across europe for a month? I was planning on going a little further afield but that might make it a lot easier for people to afford and makes it more flexible. I suppose I'd have to put a bit of thought into an itinerary of some kind though.
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited December 2006
    Yeah it's a good deal... you can make it cheaper by restricting it to a smaller area, eg 2 zones for 22 days for £205

What with the euro being so prevalent it's even easier to hop between countries than it used to be...
This discussion has been closed.