Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

vanilla only for ppl who enable javascript?

edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
someone told me he cant sign in because he cant read the terms of service... i figured out he has no javascript enabled because of security issues. so i tried a bit and noticed that posting also doesnt work without javascipt in my opinion js should be used to make the user experience better but it should not stand in the way of a user if he doesnt enable it... so my question...is vanilla only for ppl who enable javascript? or was that not intended / overseen sorry if its obvious...it wasnt to me

Comments

• Options
    well yes it is for javascript enabled users i guess. the ajax framework depends on it.
  • Options
    yeah but ive seen websites using ajax which are "backwards compatible" if thats the exact expression
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    /me prepares the choke slamming gloves
  • Options
    haha. My friend had the same issue but i disregarded it cause i didnt care about him joining. It does seem a bit of a problem though.
  • Options
    I say don't cripple the website to satisfy the few ppl who don't enable Javascript (security? don't use IE ;) ) which is available in ALL browsers (except Lynx?) on ALL platforms... It's not like the site requires ActiveX or Flash or anything fancy that not everyone has.
  • Options
    i agree with patrix
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Any new software I release will require an ajax enabled browser (read: javascript-enabled). It's a luxury of releasing free software that I plan on taking full advantage of. If I were in this for money, I might be a little more concerned about pleasing everyone.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    /me adds another 6pack to "beer I owe mark" for creating Vanilla.
  • Options
    Whilst I agree, it blows on a Sidekick. No javascript there. Well, screw mobile devices anyway, those hosers are just showing off...wait, crap, I work for a company developing software for mobile devices. Anyway, they should just stick to making phone calls and leave the interweb to the big boys. :)
  • Options
    if you really wanted to, you could grab the feed and use a reader. can the sidekick do that?
  • Options
    dunno...probably? I don't believe there is a feed reader available from the Application Catalog, but there are a ton of non-supported programs available to the sneaky Sidekick user. The browser is pretty good, but the lack of JavaScript really sucks. The interpreter is probably just way too huge for the poor little guy. Maybe the Sidekick III will get an upgrade. I'll try to grab a PocketPC from someone in the next couple of weeks and check out Vanilla. Pocket IE should have a great time trying to figure out the CSS. :)
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I think that the key audience is going to want to have at least a JS enabled browser that can render some if not most CSS that is compliant with standards. I read an article a while back, which summed it up best. If the program you enjoy using be it a mobile device or pocket pc, let the authors know you like it and ask them to support the features which you wish to see. Those who don't support some kind of standards that are ever-evolving should just be left in the dust because new ones are bound to come along and eat them up. In other-words. It's time to start thinking forward, fuck backwards.
  • Options
    I'll try to grab a PocketPC from someone in the next couple of weeks and check out Vanilla. Pocket IE should have a great time trying to figure out the CSS. :) -- I'm pretty sure vanilla has a seperate css file for ppc users. :)
  • Options
    Yes, but handheld devices aren't always great at only taking the handheld sheet. They often feel that they're "missing out", and so do their best job of dumbing down the main style sheet to a level they can deal with.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited July 2005
    Actually, signing in, reading, and posting to discussions works on mobile devices (or at least it did on vanilla 0.9.0). I haven't tested it in a while, but I specifically spent a day or so tuning up a mobile-friendly css file.
  • Options
    Another thing with JS which I think is a big issue: I use Firefox (and so do many people, and we're increasing in numbers), I have turned block popup windows on to avoid ads. This also have the great effect that when I click read terms of service link it opens in the same window, meaning that the-whatever-js-flag being set upon link click is lost, causing it to never actually registering that I have "read" them...
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I block pop-ups as well with firefox, But is there any specific extension you're using? I've so far had no issues getting through the TOS. Pop-up window or popping into a new tab.
  • Options
    Only installed Flashgot and adblock and neither (I think) should interfere with this.
  • Options
    Block only unrequested popups instead of all popups. That works fine for me in opera...
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    actually, from long discussion once had, adblock with bad regexp is notoriious for skewing javascript related events when in the wrong hands. I haven't really even bothered with any extensive ad blocking extensions specificly and firefox blocks everything fine on it's own. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.