Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

The Power of Vanilla -> VirbRocks

edited May 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
VirbRocks.com

This is just an example of how i've been able to transform Vanilla into a site that looks and feels nothing like vanilla, yet is make completely from it. Every page and object that you see on the pages has some part of vanilla behind it.

Any comments on how i've been able to achieve this?

Comments

• This is the best use Vanilla i have seen outside of a forum layout
    Did u use just the Framework and people folder, and rewrote the Vanilla folder.
    I was thinking of making a Portfolio Manager for Artist and Musicians, based on the Framework

Can u explain how u achieved this
  • Initially i was thinking of using wordpress to run a comment system and then to use Vanilla later on when i wanted to have a forum. After a few seconds i dropped the wordpress idea in the trash (because i would have to learn how to use it) and then settled on attempting to convert my previous static website into a completely Vanilla powered site.

At the moment i have a forum to run as an admin to my data in the database and duplicates of people.php, comments.php and discussions.php to run the site. There are also 2 themes, one for the admin forum, and one for the site. From here on, with the use of an extra database table, the three duplicated pages and the main site theme, the whole site is run via the framework and the database. There were only 2 lines i had to modify and 1 line i had to add into the Framework to make this site run.

As you may have guessed, this whole process was done in this way so that when i finish my forum theme, i can easily use the existing framework and database to run the forum. It's not going to be any hassle to make the forum anymore instead of having to monitor a wordpress blog AND a vanilla forum, i can do it all in one step :D
  • Fantastic demo of what Vanilla is capable of.

As inspiring as the beautiful lie.
  • Sweeeet. Good job, Vincent!
  • Keith Stoodley has really bad english
  • Amazing work!
  • wow man that looking pretty sweet!!!!
  • yeah...really sweet
  • Wow! that's a fantastic use for vanilla! Looks really smart!
This discussion has been closed.