Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Calling all Windows DST's/server admins

edited July 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
So I know this isnt really the place to ask but there may be someone on here who can help me out... I have an issue (more of an irritation really) on my network at the moment whereby if a user clicks 'save' in an office document, the dialog box comes up and they can type a filename to save it as, but it takes a few seconds for the typed information to actually appear (just like it's momentarily delayed - presumably while it's busy doing something else). I could put it down to the computer just being busy for a moment checking the network path (the default save location is 'My Documents' which is redirected to a network share), however it only happens when USERS, not ADMINISTRATORS carry out the action (if i do exactly the same thing logged on as my user then the typed information goes in immediately). I know this isnt really a problem but it's just (like a couple of other things recently, now I'm getting down to the nitty-gritty of network management since i got all the major problems out the way) a bit irritating - moreso because I cant work out why - so I wondered if anyone else had come across it or had a suggestion for a solution for me?

Comments

• ithcyithcy New
    edited July 2007
    sounds like a dns issue. is this under a domain controller?
    also, are the clients running XP or 2000 or what?
  • Theyre all on XP pro, the server in question is the only server in the office and yes it's the AD controller. It runs its own DNS for the domain and I've never had any troubles with it. It's really stumping me that the delay only occurs for users and not admins though...seems like it must be more of a permissions issue but considering the users have ownership of their profile directories I don't see what more I could do...?
  • turn off the master browser on one of the clients - net stop browser from a cmd window - and see if that helps.
  • Just on one of the clients? What does the browser do?
  • ithcyithcy New
    edited July 2007
    yes, just on one of the clients, to see if it's a name resolution issue, or perhaps the clients are looking for a network resource that is unavailable.
    if disabling the master browser fixes the problem, then you can set about finding the dns/wins issue or the resource that's not there.

http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm
This discussion has been closed.