Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mac OS X Leopard

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
So a quick question intended for a quick response without the familiar mac vs pc debate: If i buy a macbook now, when leopard comes out in october what do I have to do to upgrade?

Comments

• You will have to buy Leopard. I believe the price will be $129.
  • When I did tech support for Apple, they had a six-month free upgrade policy. This was just before the release of the iMac and Mac OS 9, so I'll let some fanboy with more recent knowledge confirm if this is still in place.
  • I'd rather the second option to be honest...dare i say it..Wanderer?
  • http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4456699 Bah, what a complicated noisy forum... elitist "future is forbidden" rules... comments littered with pleas for points... and no clear answer. One topic said the upgrade is free if you buy between the announcement of the release and the actual release... others say it has to be released but if you happen to buy a machine with the old version installed, you get a voucher for the new OS. Nowhere can I find official word--except that you can't even trust an Apple rep if they promise a free upgrade because they don't define policy. (according to one fine print disclaimer somewhere)
  • Does anyone know when Leopard is actually coming out??
  • October according to the apple site. But my mate's offered to buy my laptop off me for a fairly reasonable price so I figured I could get myself a macbook...though if it means in October I have to pay a further £90 when I know the software will be out that soon it seems like not such a great idea..thus my question. And yeah, Wallphone, it does seem somewhat difficult to find an answer on the apple site...
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited July 2007
    If I remember correctly, here's how it usually works. If you buy a new Mac on the day of (or anytime after) the official announcement of Leopard's "ship-date," you can buy an upgrade-only CD for $20. It's called the Apple "up-to-date" program. Let me clarify that: So, let's say (hypothetically) on September 10th, Steve Jobs announces that Leopard will officially ship to the public on October 20. So, that means that anyone who purchases a new computer after Septembet 10th will qualify for their up-to-date program and get a Leopard upgrade CD for $20. And anyone who purchases after October 20 should get a free full version of Leopard if the computer isn't pre-installed with it.
  • Those wern't the answers i wanted.. :(
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited July 2007
    Keep in mind that I'm making those dates up. If he announces the ship date tomorrow, then the program starts tomorrow. Apple also offers educational discounts, so even if you're taking a course somewhere, you'll qualify for a nice discount. Employees of some major corporations also qualify for discounts for some reason. You have to talk to HR to find out though.
  • ...or do what I do, make a deal with the retail outlet, make it a condition of sale that the forthcoming upgrade will be made available to you once it ships. Some retailers actually have a voucher for this purpose.

I've done this many times for myself and friends, they won't say no if it means losing a sale.

Roll on October I say!

Posted: Friday, 20 July 2007 at 7:59AM

• I guess there must be fan-girls too?

Posted: Friday, 27 July 2007 at 10:08AM

• dan39dan39 New
    edited October 2007
    Apple confirmed today that Leopard will go onsale Friday, October 26 at 6:00 p.m. The details of the Leopard Up-To-Date program were also announced. Customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after October 1, 2007 that does not have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard included can upgrade to Leopard for $9.95 http://apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ The retail price for Leopard is $129. Amazon.com is offering an instant $20 off Leopard, bringing the price down to $109. --- If you have a few hours to spare, you can read about the 300 new features (the 300 new features don't even include the new graphical embellishments, mind you). http://apple.com/macosx/features/300.html Web Clip rocks.
  • OK, that gives me the go-ahead to buy my new MacBook Pro.

But I smell new models coming soon, might wait a bit longer.

Grrrrrrr. (That's a Leopard purring) :-)
  • i'll be getting a free leopard cause i bought Tiger a year back.
    My apple dealer at the university has this policy. buy tiger in 2006 get any new version of Apple OSX untill 2008.
    Dunno if this is Apple student policy or just my university's.
    Its written on my receipt that untill 2008 all future Oses are free for me.
  • Leopard upgrade options

Customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after October 1, 2007 that does have not Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard included can upgrade to Leopard for $9.95 through Apple's Mac OS X Leopard Up-to-Date Program.

If you purchased multiple qualifying systems on a single invoice, you can either (1) purchase a Single-User Upgrade Kit for each qualifying product, at a cost of US$9.95*; or (2) purchase fewer Single-User Upgrade Kits and request the Right to Copy for the remaining qualifying products.

The maximum number of Up-To-Date packages that can be qualified from one individual appears to be 20.
  • So I got my Mac 3 days too early? Fan-bloody-tastic!
  • Max_BMax_B New
    edited October 2007
    It's often possible to find someone around with a qualifying new hardware and no intent to use its "ticket".
    In fact buying qualifying Mac is better than pre-installed one because you get an universal upgrade disk rather than a model specific one (i.e. MacBook DVD does not work on iMac, most of the times).
  • This model-specific install situation must be relatively new?

I have always been able to install OSX from my model to others, in fact I used to do it all the time.

Maybe Leopard will change this universality, I'm pretty sure Tiger didn't.
  • "Any qualifying Macs (or XServes, for 10.5 Server up to date) purchased between October 1 2007 and December 29 2007 that ship with 10.4 Tiger are eligible for a $9.95 US upgrade to Leopard. Visit Apple's Up-to-Date page at http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ for program details and the necessary forms."
  • Is this US-specific or for us down-under too?

Posted: Friday, 19 October 2007 at 8:07PM

This discussion has been closed.