Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vcal (Event calendar) Alpha screenshots

Comments

• This put me over the edge for using vanilla for a pretty big project I'm working on. So far, I am incredible impressed with both Vanilla, AND the community that makes vanilla so impressive.

I'm really looking forward to this add-on, and to becoming an active member of the community.
  • edited November 2007
    now that i'm almost done implementing custom fields, i don't like it anymore. why do we need this when you can add them in the description anyway. sounds like a cool but unnecessary idea :S no wonder no other calendar in the world allows custom fields
  • edited November 2007
    Wow, very nice! Just a question:

I'm planning to use this for a student organization's website. Will it allow a way to produce a dynamic event listing, like 30Boxes does, that can be posted elsewhere (e.g., in the front page of the site; personal blog; forum sidebar)?

Thanks and keep it up! It's looking extremely pretty.

EDIT! Also, regarding recurring events, will this allow for different comments descriptions for each instance? E.g., EventInstance1 is held at Room1; EventInstance2 is held at Room2...?
  • now that i'm almost done implementing custom fields, i don't like it anymore.
    why do we need this when you can add them in the description anyway.
    I suppose you could CSS-style custom fields if it outputs HTML with the right hooks. Though allowing HTML in the description would also make this possible.

Or if the custom fields is a menu of predefined items, it would save time retyping the same location/project-name/etc. again and again. I'm not sure what your current implementation looks like ATM.

/still waiting for beta
  • edited November 2007
    why do we need this when you can add them in the description anyway.
    I'm with you 100%. That's what I meant when you asked what would you be using it for. I've hosted several communities/forums that use calendars, and everyone ends up piling all their info in the description anyways. To me, I only see a date entry selection needed. Not even a Time field is necessary IMO. Seems like if someone needs complex calendar solutions, you need a dedicated calendar system and not a Vanilla add-on.
  • Seems like if someone needs complex calendar solutions, you need a dedicated calendar system and not a Vanilla add-on.
    I disagree (sort of): the key word in that sentence is complex, which can stand for all manner of things.

I think the ability to extract and present only certain information, for instance in a list view, using custom fields is a good thing.

Unlike a forum post, a calendar provides information in a structured way, and people look for it that way. Asking for key information and presenting key information means that a) those entering the infos don't forget the relevant infos and b) those reading the calendar can see at a glance what's relevant to them, for instance it's no use if something good is on next week but someplace way away or way too pricey or whatever...

The other good reason for hooking it into vanilla, is that people have communities with members with their own logins ready and waiting.

So yes, too complex (= fulfilling every last wish) makes it too bloated, too simple (= crippled) and it’s of limited use. Your idea of custom fields that can be added via a settings panel I thought was good as it means people can bend it to their needs without having to include a ton of fields they don't need. That's why a lot of people don’t use complex calendar solutions. It's also why they like vanilla :-)
  • ok me pushing the reoccurrence and custom fields as addons to Vcal. so that i can atleast release a working Basic Vcal, rather than have reoccurrence delay it. I ca release the beta of basic vcal right now, but i'm using pear calendar to fetch me dates of the month. From what i'm reading this might be a problem cause hosting companies don't have pear installed. I might or might not move to Active calendar
  • I can't wait for this, as it's really going to make a big difference I think.

Reoccurrence is something I would definitely use.

Thanks so much for all the great work you do MySchizoBuddy!
  • Will this extension pair nicely with your Discussion Expiration extension? I should probably wait on the questions until I get my hands on it but it would be great if they worked well together ;)
  • Did someone say beta? Can't. Wait. :)
  • My vote is definitely for reoccurance.
    Custom fields not so much.
    Basic beta, absolutely!
  • vCal beta tester, reporting for duty, SIR!
  • +1 I'll be more than happy to beta test.
  • Same here... Im looking forward to this (as well as the "digg" mod you are working on).

You're an animal!

Again, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help
  • Any updates Ziyad? I know you've been working away on the Vanilla Voting which I really appreciate as well. JB
  • who is Ziyad?
  • Hamed Said: who is Ziyad?
    A: MySchizoBuddy
  • oh thank you
  • I'm very interested in anything I can do to help on this project.
  • same goes for me