Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Cross Platform Desktop App Development

edited November 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Expand your web app skills!

Cross-platform like Flash but for the desktop!

Adobe AIR (formerly code-named Apollo) is a cross-operating system runtime that allows web application developers to use their existing web development skills (HTML, Javascript, Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, Ajax) to build and deploy rich Internet applications to the desktop.
Adobe AIR enables developers to create applications that combine the benefits of web applications - network and user connectivity, rich media content, ease of development, and broad reach - with the strengths of desktop applications - application interactions, local resource access, personal settings, powerful functionality, and rich interactive experiences.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/

Posted: Sunday, 25 November 2007 at 8:05PM

Comments

• Options
    That looks pretty cool. The examples and samples they provide really demonstrate how such an application could be used.
    Why did you put this information here?
    Now, I'm going to be off on another tangent instead of completing the things I've already started. But, then, that's the adventure.

I think I'll download the WP blogging client (Bee) and see what kind of trouble I can get into. Maybe I can use this in a web site I've started building.
  • Options
    Jimmy mate, I put this information here because I thought it would be of interest.

The web is a wondeful thing because it allows us to reach all people from all countries and any OS platform (although IE does its darndest to foil that).

Fantastically talented people in this community now have the capacity to use their existing HTML, JavaScript and countless other skills to do the same thing at a desktop level, free of OS platform considerations.

This has got to be a good thing?

Surely others will find it as exciting as myself and apparently you did?
  • Options
    Wanderer, I was just joking. There are so many things that can distract us and now I have another. I did download everything and have started looking at it.
  • Options
    Yes Jim, I realised it was tongue-in-cheek a split-second after I posted that, then the phone started ringing and it never stopped, there it goes again... pic
This discussion has been closed.