Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Opera is free now?!

lechlech Chicagoland
edited September 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Ok... what's the hitch?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2005
    in exchange for being free, it's crap. it's like "in exchange for money, it's crap" only less reaming! :P /me starts a fight
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    hahahaha
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    no argument there, though, I still think it's crap, but I am just wondering why after all this time now they decided to make it free.
  • Options
    apparently registrations only accounted for 3% of their revenue, so they've offered up the browser as a sacrifice to gain marketshare. they make most of their money from partnerships with search engines (they get paid when you use the google search box in opera, isn't that funny?) and embedded device licensing.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    here's a scary thought, I'm using opera to browse vanilla right now... I'm feeling naughty.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    and also, the ajax on add your comment is still fubar with opera. not suprising.
  • Options
    opera is probably the safest and standard compliant browser out there, so don't simply say, that it sucks. and btw, here are some good news: http://operawatch.blogspot.com/2005/09/look-ahead-at-opera-9-merlin.html btw, according to revenues: "Basically, desktop revenues were about a third of our total revenues, and we have now given up on some desktop revenue in the long term, which we will make up by seeing more and more people starting to use Opera and related services." source: http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/show.dml/22892
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    aye, i typo'd in "3%", should have been 33%. in any case, my first post was obviously flamebait, no need to come to its rescue :) i have and probably will for the forseeable future keep Opera installed. my personal annoyances with its interface, a basic ideological difference, and its 1% share will limit it to a testing-only platform for me, though. and even then only because i'm pedantic like that :)
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    graste, im not saying it's a terrible browser, in fact since i last used like 3.0 or something way back in the day, 8.5 has come a LONG fucking way to redeem itself interface-wise. But like vena said, it's merely a testing platform that still has it's share of bugs and there are some interface portions of it that annoy me. I'm not going to challenge it's security or anything like that, but it still fails to grab me into making me want to use it over firefox or any other browser :P
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    actually, i'm kinda wondering what "safest" was supposed to mean there... is this product literature talking or is there some data to back that up? i'm honestly interested, not trying to be a jerk or anything :)

but you know what? i will challenge the claim of standards compliance. they seem to be pretty careful not to claim that. they claim support, which is accurate, not compliance. their roadmap is entirely the Acid2 test, not w3c standards. Acid2 is *not* a standards compliance test, they're very clear about that. it's not surprising that they follow Acid2 as they wrote it in the first place, but it is not standards, it's a wishlist. further, KHTML (and as such Safari in CVS) already passes it in its entirety, where Opera does not... so make of that what you will :)

edit: for those interested, here's a breakdown between IE6, Firefox 1, and Opera 8 (no need to guess the biggest loser, folks). it becomes clear that the question probably shouldn't be "is it standards compliant" in the first place, but more often, "which standard and by how much" (and certainly much more often, "does it actually affect me as a web developer")
  • Options
    finally took the step they've needed to for awhile.
  • Options
    Vena that is exactly what is wrong atm with browsers, not a single one is truely "standards compliant", they all render CSS the way they want and they support things they see fit. What the fuck is with that? Opera has never been anything I would use as my main browser, it started as a small and fast browser, but it didn't even get out of the beta phase and they fucked it up, so I just forgot about it. My cousin used it and every time I was at his place, and used his comp, I was just lost, it was horrible, needlessly cluttered and actually, it was heavy as shit. And it's main attraction was tabbed browsing, something that wasn't anything unique for long. Case closed
This discussion has been closed.