Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

cant access my vanilla forum

edited June 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
hi all, i am getting this message when i try to access my forum Error Message The connection to the database failed: Affected Elements MySQL.OpenConnection(); The error occurred on or near: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections can anyone suggest a fix?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2008
    It appears there are too many connections to the MySQL server you are connecting to.

If you want someone to provide a better answer, please provide some more details about your setup. We can't suggest a fix simply from the info you've provided.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm getting a similar error message:

The connection to the database failed:
    Affected Elements
    MySQL.OpenConnection();

The error occurred on or near: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
  • Options
    This will happen if you have an empty password for you mysql connection. On my dev machine I have this (just a root account with no pass). Installing Vanilla went fine (I got the warning message letting me know this was a potential security risk, so it looked like Vanilla would handle it fine). But after install I got the message above. So, just create another user for use like this: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'localuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'localpassword' Then delete conf/settings.php and conf/database.php, DROP the database, CREATE the database and install Vanilla again with db username / password: localuser/localpassword
  • Options
    Exactly what bjorn said :D So yea, I thought that maybe there was an error in your MySQL password, but his idea sounds more fitting. ~Vinny