Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Removing "Click here" text from all links

edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
The "click here" words have always bugged me when I see them in applications. If hyperlinks are displayed correctly, the ability to click there should be self-explanatory. Not to mention the fact that some users might not even be clicking! (for accessibility reasons or if they're on a tap-based action device).

Here's a list where "Click here" is used in Vanilla. Strangely, for two such definitions, the words "click here" are even in the definition key!./languages/English/definitions.php:28:$Context->Dictionary['ClickHereToContinueToDiscussions'] = 'Click here to continue to the discussions'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:29:$Context->Dictionary['ClickHereToContinueToCategories'] = 'Click here to continue to the categories'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:107:$Context->Dictionary['SignInAgain'] = 'Click here to sign in again'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:116:$Context->Dictionary['SignInNow'] = 'Click here to sign in now'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:326:$Context->Dictionary['ClickHereToContinue'] = 'Click here to continue'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:451:$Context->Dictionary['SwitchApplicationMode'] = 'Click here to switch the application mode'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:452:$Context->Dictionary['BackToApplication'] = 'Click here to go back to Vanilla'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:467:$Context->Dictionary['ExtensionFormNotes'] = 'Extensions are used to add new functionality into Vanilla. Listed below are all of the extensions you currently have installed. To enable an extension, check the box next to the extension name. <a href="http://lussumo.com/addons/">Click here for more extensions from Lussumo</a>.'; ./languages/English/definitions.php:549:$Context->Dictionary['CheckForUpdatesNow'] = 'Click here to check for updates now'; ./setup/index.php:18: <div class="Button"><a href="installer.php">Click here to install a completely brand new version of Vanilla</a></div> ./setup/index.php:38: <div class="Button"><a href="upgrader.php">Click here to upgrade from Vanilla 0.9.2.x to <?php echo APPLICATION . ' ' . APPLICATION_VERSION; ?></a></div> ./setup/installer.php:478: <div class=\"Button\"><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Click here to check your permissions and proceed to the next step\" /></div> ./setup/installer.php:514: <div class=\"Button\"><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Click here to create Vanilla's database and proceed to the next step\" /></div> ./setup/installer.php:577: <div class="Button"><input type="submit" value="Click here to complete the setup process!" /></div> ./setup/upgrader.php:736: <div class=\"Button\"><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Click here to check your permissions and proceed to the next step\" /></div> ./setup/upgrader.php:768: <div class=\"Button\"><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Click here to create Vanilla's database and proceed to the next step\" /></div> ./setup/upgrader.php:816: <div class="Button"><input type="submit" value="Click here to complete the setup process!" /></div>
A word from W3C: Don't say "click here"; not everyone will be clicking

Comments

• I guess nobody cares but me :(
  • I care. It is important to try not to confuse our users any more than necessary. We do need to follow good usability techniques in web design. I guess the key now is to determine which ones can be eliminated and which ones need to be changed to some other more meaningful wording. I hope to have some time to look into this.