Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Vanilla Add-ons pot - contribute to fix, enhance or create new add-ons

fmimosofmimoso
edited January 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I really like Vanilla. Really. But I don't like the way add-ons are being left behind by their creators. I understand people move on to different stuff and don't have to or want to be attached to something they created one afternoon for some reason no longer valid.
But, I think it's worth to maintain add-ons already created, that stopped working for whatever reason.

Considering this, I would like to create a pot where you can deposit money to motivate someone to fix, enhance or create new add-ons.

I'm sure you've heard before how this is done, but if not here it goes:
  1. you want to fix, enhance or create a specific add-on
  2. you send X (money) to my paypal account and mention here and within the paypal message to which add-on is that money addressed
  3. I update the list of add-ons that are getting money
  4. someone sees that the amount of money raised in a specific add-on is the amount he/she thinks is sufficient to do what needs to be done
  5. he/she releases the add-on linking to it here
  6. bugs and minor enhancements are solved in a 30 day period
  7. if everything is accomplished (bugs solved mainly), I'll send the money that was raised to the add-on author through paypal
  8. if the amount to transfer is >$100, 10% will be deducted and sent to Mark's paypal account "Help keep Vanilla free"
  9. if no one shows up for the task, you can allocate the money to another add-on or just ask for a refund - up to 60 days after sending it, after that period refund is no longer possible
What do you think about this? I still remember a similar action that worked, so I thought why not give it a try?

Comments

• Options
    fmimosofmimoso
    edited January 2009
    I'll start myself.

Featured Threads
    US$10

Mass Mailer
    US$10
  • Options
    RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    This is a good idea, but people are only going to end up paying for addons that they need for their own projects. And if they were willing to pay money for features that are standard in other forum software, then they are more likely to buy that software instead. The only way to solve the problem that you mentioned is for Vanilla to include "some" addon's as part of the standard package or for someone to create a new package version of Vanilla that includes certain standard addons. This package could possibly be re-branded and sold if its allowed. Just some thoughts, and when I have some cash I will definitely be looking to pay for customization work on my Vanilla installation.