Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Suggestion: Ideas forum

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm thinking there could be an idea's forum to share ideas for vanilla 2 applications and addons that users want to be made and so users can see who else is working on what. That way you can make something unique.

I also think the ideas forum could be used so that people like myself can give suggestions on how i think certain parts of vanilla can be improved or work differently, it would also mean you could get some user feedback on parts of the framework as really it is as much our framework as yours. The community often makes or breaks a piece of software so getting user support, feedback and discussion going can only serve to promote vanilla but make it better.

Comments

• Commented here as i guess it is an idea anyways, there is already rss and atom support, how about adding support for json and xml (for more data). That way basic api use can begin. Obviously just for receiving data, it would also be nice to have the global activity stream syndicated in some way.
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    We've started the documentation for a REST api, but this won't be developed for some time. We need to make sure our stuff is fast and well protected against spam before launching.

I would be reluctant to do the xml/json stuff now as it might change. However, I guess your point is that you want to have input on it beforehand which is a good idea. Let me talk about it with Mark.
  • Okay then, i may need some help on making forms soon. I have written a Whos Online plugin, but need a admin page to store configuration and change it. So i can change the frequency of the refresh/update of who is online. Everything is working, and it works as a plugin. But having a hard-coded refresh time is not ideal.

Well its nice to keep the people who will be developing for your software some input on how stuff shall work, we may come up with an even better idea. It will be good to get a Rest Api going, i can see it being used for many things, ie converting vanilla into other types of websites too that almost require an api. And you can get a whole host of applications going for mobile and desktop.