Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Status of Email notifications

FoxyFredFoxyFred New
edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello, developers!

First off, let me say that I am impressed with the quality of the Vanilla 2 and Garden codebase! So far, I haven't found any of the heinous crimes that PHP allows one to commit, and it seems like you have a sensible OO design and plugin architecture.

I work for FoxyCart, and we have a pretty large Vanilla 1 board that we'd like to move to Vanilla 2; there are many new features that we would really enjoy. One old feature, though, that we use a lot is the email notification feature. I see that it's planned in your roadmap, and I'm wondering how much of that is completed right now.

I like what I see so far with regard to notifications, and I'm wondering if email support is just around the corner, or if I should dive in and write a notification plugin myself. The main things we like about the current notifications are:
- Per-category new conversation notifications. (we want to know when people ask new questions)
- Conversation updates that notice when we visit the forum. (we want to know when someone updates a conversation, but email's not important if we're currently working on the board)

The most important feature of a new notification system for us is that it imports the old notification settings, so that people who are currently subscribed continue to receive updates.

Anyway, it'd be great if someone could tell me the status of all of this before I go even deeper into the Garden / Vanilla 2 code. Thanks in advance! :-)

Comments

• FoxyBrettFoxyBrett
    edited December 2009
    Fwiw, it's not really that big a Vanilla 1 board. It's just over 2000 discussions. We're currently using Notify 1.2.1 by Andreas Hutstein but I'm not seeing that anywhere on the AddOns section.
  • @FoxyBrett: The Notify extension isn't available anymore because it was replaced by Notifi in September 2008.

Updating from Notify to Notifi is extremely recommended, because Notify has security problems, not to mention there have been many other improvements and new features added (see the changelog). The Notifi extension will also be included in Vanilla 1.2

I'm not sure what the progress is for that feature in Vanilla 2, though.
  • FoxyBrettFoxyBrett
    edited December 2009
    Thanks @SubJunk. Upgraded. Quite a nice improvement. (Thanks for your hard work on that.)

Unless we hear otherwise, our plan is to port Notifi to Vanilla 2 as we are able. If anybody beats us to it please let us know. Otherwise we'll report back here when we're done.
  • @FoxyBrett: Great idea! Good luck with it
  • Just getting back to Vanilla 2 stuff on our end and realized (happily) that Notifi isn't needed any longer (right?).
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/99638/#Comment_99638

I don't see an option on there to get notified on discussions that you've participated in, but the basics are already there, so we likely won't attempt to port Notifi to Vanilla2.
  • Perhaps you could add the category notification part to V2 as a plugin?
  • I don't see a way to get notified of new discussions in a category. Am I missing something? Is an extension required?