Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Rss feed url?

Hi people,

I want to show the recent posts/discussions of my forum with an rss feed, but what is the rss feed url of my forum?

Thanks

Comments

• By the way.. I'm using vanilla 2.
  • oliverraduneroliverraduner Contributing to Vanilla since 2010 Switzerland ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    @Alexander25 it should be: http://yoursite/discussions/feed.rss

Most recent Webbrowsers show you a RSS-Button if a RSS-Feed is being found on the page. You can check this in the Source of your page when searching for
    type="application/rss+xml"
    (In my Vanilla 2 RC2 Installation, this is one of the very top lines on the Discussions page)
  • Great! Thanks alot!
  • Hi again.

I can't get it working.

The link is http://www.betexcellence.com/community/discussions

and I can see the rss button, but if I press the button I get an error. Maybe you could please tell what might be wrong?

Thanks
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    This is a known issue and we're looking into how best to fix it. Sorry :/

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Any news on this one?
  • Is this still broken or am I doing something wrong?

• ^^ Ditto. Seems to still be a problem (View not found) when clicking on the rss icons which are available by default next to categories?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@mattchatterley‌ I am not seeing this issue on 2.1. What version are you using?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight 2.1 as well - very odd, but good to know it works for someone else therefore it's either because of my installation (unlikely?), or my custom theme (more likely!) - the URL being generated checks out, but it seems like the template for the feeds is missing - will be investigating more as soon as I've ticked a couple of urgent items off the todo list!

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@mattchatterley‌ revert to the baseline+ theme and verify it doesn't work there.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

@mattchatterley said:
    hgtonight 2.1 as well - very odd, but good to know it works for someone else therefore it's either because of my installation (unlikely?), or my custom theme (more likely!) - the URL being generated checks out, but it seems like the template for the feeds is missing - will be investigating more as soon as I've ticked a couple of urgent items off the todo list!

Yes, try a different theme, and or disable plugins one by one to see if it improves.

do you get something like this when you click on feed buttons when debugging.

if so check your plugins and themes and the files in conf/folder

e.g.

if you have a blank line before the opening php in any file (not good)

`<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();`

or a closing ?>  at the bottom of file  (not good)

?>  at the end of any file in a plugin  you will break the rss feeds.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Alas, doesn't work with Baseline+ either, I get "Whoops! View not found.", with the following debug output/trace:

Trace

0 /var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/library/core/class.controller.php(898): NotFoundException('View')

1 /var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.categoriescontroller.php(270): Gdn_Controller->FetchViewLocation('helper_function...', 'categories')

2 /var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.categoriescontroller.php(122): CategoriesController->All()

3 [internal function]: CategoriesController->Index('general', 'feed.rss')

4 /var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(350): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

5 /var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/index.php(46): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch()

and

ViewLocation(): array (
    0 => '/var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/themes/default/views/categories/helper_functions_rss.tpl',
    1 => '/var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/themes/default/views/categories/helper_functions_rss.php',
    2 => '/var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/applications/vanilla/views/categories/helper_functions_rss.tpl',
    3 => '/var/www/hive.cbscustomerservices.com/applications/vanilla/views/categories/helper_functions_rss.php',
    )

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2014

in applications/vanilla/controllers/class.categoriescontroller.php(270):

what does it say at line 270

does line 270 say

include_once $this->FetchViewLocation('helper_functions', 'categories');

not sure why it is looking for helper_functions_rss - did you modify anything in the core?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• It's:

include_once $this->FetchViewLocation('helper_functions', 'categories');

Which seems to be right.

library/core/class.controller.php seems to add the _rss (in the definition of FetchViewLocation), so I'd assumed that was the right behaviour and the files are just missing.

Definitely haven't modified anything in core! :)

• I don't know why its doing that

just for a n experiment you could clone a copy

applications/vanilla/views/categories/helper_functions.php

to

applications/vanilla/views/categories/helper_functions_rss.php