Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Extended Application Form

MarkMark Vanilla Staff
edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Extended Application Form

Comments

• With these two extensions active:
    --Applicant Discovery 1.1
    --Applicant Email Verification 0.4.2.a

This extension...
    --Extended Application Form 1.0

...causes a fatal error upon sending the application.

Posted: Tuesday, 13 March 2007 at 2:40PM (AEDT)

• I've found what appears to be a bug.

I have installed the Japanese language for my forum. All works well except that when I install this extension, the "First" and "Last" name text that appears to the left of the fields is not translated into Japanese. I found that the translation does in fact exist. So it would appear that the bug at work here is not properly accessing that Japanese translation even when the user has selected Japanese as the language of the forum interface.
  • JDW, I think you need to assign proper Japanese translation for the "First Name" and "Last Name" to this default.php respectively. But this will override other languages. Cut them and paste into Japanese Lang file.
  • Which "default.php"? Can you please specify the path?

Also, I certainly do not want Japanese to override any other language because my forum is bi-lingual. I have an English Category and a Japanese Category. Obviously, if I put Japanese and kill the English, then my English users will be faced with the same exact problem that plagues my Japanese users with respect to this extension. I would therefore appreciate hearing your thoughts in light of this.

Thank you.
  • look in the default.php for the definitions, cut and paste them into the japanese language dictionary with the correct translation.
  • I will provide the path (since no one else seems to know, and since I just figured it out):

/extensions/ExtendedApplicationForm/default.php

The pertinent content within that particular "default.php" file is as follows:

$Context->Dictionary["FirstName"] = "First name";
    $Context->Dictionary["LastName"] = "Last name";
    $Context->Dictionary["FirstNameLower"] = "first name";
    $Context->Dictionary["LastNameLower"] = "last name";
    $Context->Dictionary["ErrReadTOS"] = "You must READ the terms of service.";

I think you are suggesting that I copy the first 2 lines in the above and paste them into the following:

/languages/Japanese/definitions.php

If you are suggesting that, please note that the following two lines already exist in that "definitions.php" file (but are not being used for whatever reason):

$Context->Dictionary['YourFirstName'] = '名前';
    $Context->Dictionary['YourLastName'] = '名字';

So I would appreciate your specific clarifications in light of this.
    (Sorry to pound on "specifics" but I get totally lost without them.)

Thanks!
  • Be aware of the differences between the Dictionary in /languages/Japanese/definitions.php and /extensions/ExtendedApplicationForm/default.php. 'YourFirstName' vs "FirstName" So you need to cut and paste the 2 lines into definition file. -->"Cut and Paste", do not leave these lines in /extensions/ExtendedApplicationForm/default.php, or your other language files will be overridden.
  • Hi Sujang,

Many thanks for the excellent advice. I had to edit the following 3 files to make it work:

/languages/Japanese/definitions.php
    /languages/English/definitions.php
    /extensions/ExtendedApplicationForm/default.php

I first went to the default.php file and CUT the following data out:

$Context->Dictionary["FirstName"] = "名前";
    $Context->Dictionary["LastName"] = "名字";

I then pasted that data into each of my language "definitions.php" files. Works like a charm!

Thanks again!
  • Hi, I love the extension, but is there a way to comment out the code in default.php to eliminate the need for applicants to actually click/read on the terms of service?

Thanks
  • love it. Is there a way to insert more custom fields? And what I really need is that users can`t choose a username by themselfes. It should be generated automatically out of the first and lastname. Any ideas how I can do that?
  • I have tried to add some extra input fields to the application form using this extension as a template but when it returns the validation the input field value is not returned. Does anyone know if the field names have to corresponed to the database field names? It seems to me they are - but does Vanilla look and check if they corresponed? ........................... @ TheAndrej comment out this line: if (!$SafeUser->ReadTerms) $ApplyForm->Context->WarningCollector->Add($ApplyForm->Context->GetDefinition("ErrReadTOS"));
  • (Part of) JDW's problem is because this plug-in still uses $Context->Dictionary rather than $Context->SetDefinition.

Can someone with appropriate access update that? Thanks.
  • Yes, and can we please have that update "SOON"? :-)
  • Yeah, the ability to name fields and collect their values would be a Great update (so we can track more than what's currently available)
  • Is it possible that you can show the applicants First + Last names in the notification email and on the approval screen?

Also, can we have an options menu in the settings which allows you to turn off the forced viewing terms and conditions script.

Thanks.
  • Ok, tried it with Organic theme and my own style, seems to work fine.
    What problems have you seen on other themes?
  • I get this error

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /var/www/vhost/skytime.info/home/html/foro/extensions/ExtendedApplicationForm/default.php on line 53

any help?

• I have the exact same problem someone had, which is that the vanilla asks to read the terms of services even though TOS is checked. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
This discussion has been closed.