Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Announcement

edited July 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Announcement

Comments

• Hello. It's very useful addon but I have a little problem.
    In my new installtion message shows on my front page but it not hidding after required time.
    My version of Vanilla is 1.1.2. In my previous installtion (Vanilla 1.0.1) everything was fine.
  • Sorry, it's working. My Total Commander put (via FTP) folder on my server and (I don't know why) changing first letter to lower case. Should be "Announcement" was "announcement". And that's why browser don't find the /extensions/Announcement/functions.js file, becouse it was in /extensions/announcement/functions.js.
  • I've used this extension on a few Vanilla installs (v1.1.2) but when someone posts an announcement, they get a white screen of death stating:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/vhosts/damascusroadchurch.org/httpdocs/boards/conf/settings.php on line 32

The only way I can fix it is by stripping the announcement text from the code on that settings.php. I really want to use this extension, but until the issue is fixed, I've had to deactivate it. Any ideas on what the issue is?
  • This is mentioned elsewhere, but it's a carriage return (or hard return) you put in the announcement.
  • i don't know what that means, lol
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    What jim meant was: Check the announcement text you wrote up for this extension. If there are line breaks (ie: carriage returns/line breaks/you hit the enter key making a new line) you'll want to back it up and make sure it all fits on a single line.
  • The fix for this (I don't know why it hasn't been integrated into the add-on itself) is to change the HTML multi-line text box into a single line text box.
  • Hi,
    today I tried to translate "Announcement" and some other Add-ons, too, into German and noticed most of them use the "old style" for declaring the language variables.

So I made a convertion (with the help of "sed" described here) to use the documented "new style" for the "Announcement" extension.
    If you want (an I recommend it) you can download the patch or/and the new "default.php" from my site at http://sokai.name/code/vanilla/add-ons/.

For all German people: The translated text can be downloaded from http://sokai.name/code/vanilla/translation/. :)

Thanks a lot,
    sokai
  • Is there an extension like this but that lets regular users edit the message?
  • any chance to make the announcement appear one time per user?

Thanks, wonderful add-on
  • Worked like a sweet heart
    Thanks for a Wonderful Share
  • hi, sorry I'm not familiar with php yet and I'm wondering where/how I can edit the content of the welcome message? Maybe change the width of the welcome message? Thanks for your time.